Author Topic: My First Bow - A Self Bow  (Read 17235 times)

Offline ConorO

Re: My First Bow - A Self Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 05:55:49 pm »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a quick update and ask a question. Firstly, I have finally figured out a safer method for removing the bark from the stave without damaging the wood underneath. I'm removing all the bark save for a very thin layer of the cambium, then I'm just taking a wood rasp and finishing it off. However, I discovered that in one of my staves, there is a bit of a thin split running through the middle of the stave along the grain, does this deem that stave useless?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 06:04:56 pm »
Sounds like a check, fill it with superglue, should be fine. In the future sealing the ends will prevent this
I like free stuff.

Offline ConorO

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »
The thing is, I did seal the ends, but I used a mixture of wood glue and water... hmmm. Oh, and Mr. Tsoukalas, I am a big fan of your site!

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »
I agree, I now cosider George Tsoukalas a friend that I've yet to meet. There is so much help for a beginner on his site. I bet if you stick with it and follow his advice you'll have a fine bow come December!

Offline ConorO

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 07:45:14 pm »
Alrighty, the time is fast approaching! It's been a while since I've been on the website... In such a case, I have a few questions for you guys! Firstly, what sort of width and thickness do you guys like to see in your selfbows? Secondly, if the grain of the wood is "snaky", should I follow the grain along the edge of the bow, resulting in a curvy edge? Or, is it safe to straighten the edge? Thirdly, how do you guys typically arrange the length of your bows to the draw length and poundage you're looking for? Are there any general rules of thumb? Thank you guys for all the help!

Offline ConorO

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 08:05:50 pm »
Oh! One more thing: Do you think it's feasible to do a relatively comfortable ambidextrous handle on a selfbow?

Offline echatham

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 08:23:16 pm »
this is of no consequence, and i know there are several varieties of each, but that looks like red oak to me, just by the bark.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »
I would choose your first bow out of the one farthest left or the one farthest right. They seem like they would be easier
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 09:24:05 pm »
Oh! One more thing: Do you think it's feasible to do a relatively comfortable ambidextrous handle on a selfbow?
Bend in the handle bow could be ambidextrous... and I'm totally bias toward them. lol

When I got into this I started with my worst staves so when I screwed them up I wasn't as disappointed but I don't tend to learn the easy way.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline ConorO

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 11:13:22 pm »
So would a bend in the handle stave not have a "fade" then around the handle? And I sanded down a nice stave, and chose it in particular due to the lack of checking. I'll post a picture of the sanded stave tomorrow or Saturday afternoon!

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:21 am »
You NEED to follow any curvature or anything of the grain. If you don't it will fail most likely. I would make a bow out of that something around these dimensions for a 28" draw and 50# or so(never used it before but based off what I know) around 68" long, 1.75"-2" at the fades tapering to 1.25"-1.5" about 8" from tips and then taper down to 3/8" at tips. With an 4" handle and 2" fades. Make the cross section square just for simplicity and thickness doesn't really matter, whatever is the right poundage and good tiller
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Don Case

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 02:01:00 pm »
If you're going to put in a big arrow shelf, I wouldn't make it ambidextrous >:D >:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline ConorO

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:48 pm »
Here's the thing, though... The bow is for my girlfriend. She is left handed... lol. However, her Dad never had anything left handed for her to shoot, so she grew up shooting rifle and a compound bow right handed. I wanted to give her the opportunity to mix it up if she wanted to try shooting left handed once or twice  :). Do you think you could do a double rest? One on each side?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:19 pm »
No need to cut in a shelf - if you don't, she can then shoot from either side.   You can use a piece of leather for a "floppy-type" shelf on each side if you want. 
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline randman

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 03:32:08 am »
Doesn't matter whether someone is right or left handed....more important is whether they are left or right EYE dominant. My daughter is right handed but left eye dominant so she has to shoot left handed so her dominant eye is lined up with the arrow for correct aim.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.