Author Topic: My First Bow.  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Jacob Parnell

My First Bow.
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »
Just a post on my first bow.
A 66" red oak board bow that pulls 24# at 27".  Backed with Burlap.
Now, I did not intend on making this bow pull 24# - I was actually hoping for 35, but I screwed up in 2 places.  If you look at my other posts, you'll notice I didn't know how to raise the brace height, so I assumed that you just keep taking wood off.  Because of this, I just kept rasping my bow down, making it weaker.  The other problem  relates to the tillering tree.  If you look at the last picture, you'll notice that the tillering tree I made used a pulley to pull the bowstring.  Now that pulley was really cheap I guess, cause it did not roll smoothly.  It somehow screwed up the reading on the scale because when I went to measure the poundage WITH the pulley, it read 32#, but without the pulley it read 24# (If that makes any sense).

Any way, I also wanted to ask you guys for advice and constructive criticism.  Including my shooting form :) My friend and I are going to be making bows some time in the next week, and I definitely want some improvement.

Thanks so much!
Jacob
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: My First Bow.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »
Congrats on your first. Your farther down the road than others who just read and talk about it. Tiller looks good. At this point I had my 2nd and 3rd close to broken. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »
If it shoots you did good. the tiller looks right on. It's better to have a lite bow tillered good then the weight you were after just to see it break.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MoNative

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
nice work man
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »
Thanks so much guys... It means a lot  :D
what about my shooting posture? Is it ok?

Jacob
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »
my first bow came in at 20# too, the next one was better and now only ten bows later, ive finished my first sinew backed shorty. Point being, put that baby in the closet and move on to the next one and make it even better.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »
great job. wish my first one shot
knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:10:01 pm »
Good job on that one
I like osage

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »
Congratulations, you got a working bow on your first try! I can tell you, I did not. I've still only built a few but they improve every time! I bet your second one will be even better too! As far as shooting form goes I'm no expert there either but I bet the more you shoot your new creation your form will follow along too. Welcome to the addiction - it's a lot of fun!

Mark

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:24:10 pm »
Your form ain't half bad!  Your arrow arm is in line with the same line as the arrow...good!  Looks like you have established an anchor point.  Good, stick with it, never change it.  And it looks like your bow arm has a little bend in the elbow, good.  Now just stick a ruler under your watchband on your left arm.  Make the back of your hand continue the line that the back of your forearm has.  That turns your wrist in slightly and helps prevent wrist slap from the string. 

Good bow.  Good job.  I'm betting the next one will be even better!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dbb

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »
To make the first bow a shooter is a win in it self(even if it come in a bit light) and that one looks good.

As of the form,it is very personal..but a good start is feets shoulderwith apart and rear foot perpendicular to target.
Dont lean back,even weight on the feet or slightly more on the forward one and dont lock your knees.
from there you can find your stance. (Take this as guidelines not as an absolut "must do")
And JW is spot on with the anchor too
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:42 pm »
Great job on your 1st bow! If it were me i would shoot the heck out of it and make another  :). If draw weight is a big issue to you, you can cut 1" off each end and file new string grooves. In my experience that will raise your draw weight 7-10#'s..... But its way more fun to just make a new one.  ;D... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 12:22:03 am »
Congratulations on your first bow!  You have been bitten by the bowyer's bug, I can tell. :)  There will be many more in your future, I am willing to bet.  Hang on to that one.  Nothing beats letting loose an arrow from your first bow.  In my opinion, if someone can build a decent bow from a red oak board, there will be some amazing bows in their future, once they get their hands on some of the better bow woods.   Good job.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 10:02:53 am »
Congratulations Jacob! Sounds like you ran into some good learning experiences,along the way and still manged to make a functional bow. Apply this to the next one and the one after that .......

I like your signature, very creative.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:59:30 am »
Thanks so much everyone :D I'm so glad it works. My next challenge is a self bow!
I still need to get some bamboo garden stakes to make some arrows.

Jacob
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (