Author Topic: Argg, I am an idiot... I got this bamboo backed warbow with a couple cracks....  (Read 3305 times)

Offline toomanyknots

...and I am trying to keep myself from drawing the darn thing to 32"... it is hard not to! I know I am gonna kill it if I do, but my curiosity is just evil. The stupid thing started making noises when I was finishing up tillering it. I hadn't put the horn nocks on yet, so I thought it might of been when the string was crushing the bamboo, which is was doing at the time. I actually had to pike it when I didn't even want to previously because the string crushed the bamboo right across the back and I thought it was gonna break. And the bamboo was thin too, less than 1/16" at the nocks. So I was thinking, since I couldn't find the source of the dreaded "tick" noise, that it might of been the string crushing the bamboo and causing it to lift near the temp nocks (which is was a bit). So after I get the horn nocks on, and it stops making noises for a good while, I tillering it out to 32" and beyond, and the darn thing ticks some more. So I look and this time I can see two distinct tiny cracks across the bamboo in one spot. They are tiny, but this bow is over 100# @ 32" for sure, and I am not wanting a sharp horn nock to go flying into mine or anybody elses body, so in a couple minutes I am going to force myself to sinew patch it, but man do I wanna see if it i'l hold so bad.  >:D I know it won't though... I soaked the thing in runny super glue so far, and got a patch ready and all. It is on the bottom limb too, so of course it will die eventually if not patched... I really don't like bamboo for heavy or stressed bows anymore. I know it is great stuff for the most part, but it seems like I never know when it is gonna fail. It seems good wooden backings are much more dependable and predictable in highly stressed or heavy weight designs,... not to mention a lot less work. For example, I have some maple (for backings) I picked up that I have been torturing like some sicko, Ipe warbows with 4" reflex, (yes, another example of me being an idiot, this one was an accident and I put too much weight in the handle during glue up, :).) , ipe reflex deflex's with disgusting amounts of reflex, etc. And it doesn't want to give me one failure, not one splinter, not a thing, not even a good amount of set. It holds a perry reflexed bow into reflex just as good as bamboo does. AND it is lighter... but everybody thinks bamboo is the bees knees...  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:18:43 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

My longbow is backed with maple, right?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline toomanyknots

My longbow is backed with maple, right?

Yes sir.

Offline Slackbunny

Ah just pull her till she breaks  >:D  It'll be fun!  >:D

Offline toomanyknots

Ah just pull her till she breaks  >:D  It'll be fun!  >:D

I am way to scared to do that with this one... lol. If I draw it like normal to break it, I am afraid the pointed horn nocks will get me in the belly or ribs. I could step on the string and draw to break it, but than the pieces might either break something in my house, or fly into my neighbors yard if I was outside I think!  ;D And I could use my tiller tree in the basement to break it, but if it explodes I am afraid the nocks might just go hit a gas line or poke my water heater!  :o

back it and shoot it!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

I don't think I'd want a 100+ pound bow exploding in my face !
I like osage

I don't think I'd want a 100+ pound bow exploding in my face !
I don't want ANY bow exploding in my face.

Offline toomanyknots

I just slapped a sinew patch on it. I have absolutely zero experience patching bamboo, so I don't know what to expect, :o. At first I was going to use wet sinew, but I changed my mind and used just dry sinew and tb3. The patch extends about 1" over each small crack. After it wasn't so sticky anymore, I wrapped some inner tube around it. Hopefully it will hold, but I don't have a lot of faith honestly. The bow is a bamboo purple heart ipe trilam, holds about 1 1/2" reflex or so, is only 73 3/8" from nock to nock, and has been a bunch of times and was supposed to be pulled to 32". It is probably around 100# @ 32", if not that than a bit more. The initial perry reflex glued in was 2 1/2" reflex. So I guess a backing failure is not super surprising, I guess I am almost asking for it,  ;D.

EDIT: I would take pics but my batteries are dead.

Offline adb

Send it to Del... he can break it for yah! 8)

Offline toomanyknots

Send it to Del... he can break it for yah! 8)

Haha, lol. At least he's got a hard hat!

Offline toomanyknots

Welp, I said screw the sinew, I decided I don't feel like waiting a month for the sinew to slowly cure through the water proof tb3 just to break the bow, and felt I would rather find out sooner than later. I was actually thinking of trying a fast flight patch, since the fibers have so little stretch? Tb3 doesn't seem to be adhering to this bamboo either, so I figure I am going to have to use super glue. It would take a while to lay out each fiber, but it figures in my pea sized brain that it would work to hold the fibers together if I could get the stuff glued down good? If anything I am at least going to wrap in fast flight.

try epoxy and fast flight. Might work better.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
I have used serving string and CA glue on bamboo before. It worked out great.
>>>---------->

Offline toomanyknots

I have used serving string and CA glue on bamboo before. It worked out great.

Well what I ended up doing was gluing down some fast flight strands lengthwise across the offending cracks with liquid superglue, and then wrapped the area with serving thread and put some liquid superglue on that too. Not sure what the result will be. I guess I will find out in a little bit when I am sure it is nice and dry, :).