Author Topic: Osage Tiller Check  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Osage Tiller Check
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:52:05 pm »
Hey Guys,
Before I go much further I need some help and comments on the below tiller.  I'm having trouble with the big knot on the upper (left) limb.  I think the pics show that it's a little stiff on both sides of the knot mostly on the upper side towards the tip.  This is the bow that I floor tillered to brace.  No long string.  The brace pic is about 5.5" .  I think I have some weight left to play with.  But just wanted to get some suggestions on how to deal with this knot.  The bottom limb (right) seems to me to look pretty good.
Appreciate any comments, thanks for looking.  I'll try to get better pictures next time at about 18" draw. and we'll take another look.
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Osage Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:05:46 pm »
It looks pretty good, so far, but the left limb looks a little stiffer coming out of the handle fade.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »
May be we need someone else to look at it. LOL. The right limb looks a little stiff er out of the fades to me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:28:04 pm »
Bill, the only thing I'm seeing is a little flat mid limb area around left knot, but since its at the knot I'm not sure it needs any adjustment. Pics are are tough to gauge minor tiller issues for me so take it for what it's worth. Looks like it will be a snappy shooter!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »
Thanks..............
Lesken, Jawge, Tracy,,

Lesken................. exactly what I thought until...........
What Jawge said about the left limb-----------
Then ,   Tracy I think I'll go a little further tomorrow on the draw length and see what happens..................
Thanks guys,
DBar

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 11:58:27 pm »
First I'm assuming the last picture is the bow braced.  It looks like the back of the bow at the handle is not level.  Remember the back needs to level, even if both limbs bend there, they should bend evenly.  DON"T tiller by trying to keep the string level.  It will cause the tiller to go ALL WONKY (I did that once).

I have no experience with knot holes.  Maybe Blackhawk with chime in.  So take this advice with a grain of salt. The knot has been removed leaving just the hole, correct?  From what I've seen on here, it looks like most folks just tiller through the hole.  In theory, if your limb is 1 1/2 wide and 2 inches wide at the hole and the hole is 1/2 diameter, then you have 1 1/2 of "wood" at the hole the same as you do for the rest of the limbs.  AGAIN, this theory is only speculation and may be complete BS.

What I would do is: measure and mark 2" intervals from the center of the bow out the knot on that limb them do the same out to the same distance on the other limbs.  With the bow braced, measure from belly to string at each 2" mark.  This will give you an idea of how to even up the bend and brace.  Remember when you remove wood from the stiff limb it will relieve tension on the weaker limb.  So, measure both of them again after removing wood and exercising the bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:39 am »
Gota Hedge.........................
Thanks
DBar

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:41:38 am »
First thing is to finish chasing the ring as it looks like you've left a bit of the previous ring in the concavity in the middle of the knot. If you can't get a scraper in there then sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease will remove it.
How I see it is your left limb is quite a bit stronger, leave the inner limb alone and work on the rest. This bow isn't quite ready to be braced in my opion.
The limbs should at least be even strength before bracing.
Don't brace it again until the stronger limb is tamed!
I use a long string until at least 18 inch of draw and never come in under-weight.....the long string is your friend   :) :) It allows you to put the stave under less strain while doing one of the most important bits of tillering.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »
OK guys..............
I worked on the knot some and the stiff spots
Here is a pic at brace and 18"  How does it look?
Also, a couple of the knot and tip

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »
Looking good to me, heck of a job on a stave like that...
I'm not going to offer an opinion on that baby... not from here...gotta get your hands on that sort of stave to see what's going on.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 03:17:04 pm »
It looks better now, whatever you did!! ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 04:04:17 pm »
Looking really good.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 07:04:26 pm »
That's gonna be a shooter  8)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:22:12 pm »
Lookin' very sharp!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 10:21:13 pm »
Liken this one Bill
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.