Author Topic: Oak as a bow wood -- Times have changed!  (Read 13003 times)

Offline Greebe

Oak as a bow wood -- Times have changed!
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:56:08 pm »
I have been out out ob bow building for around 12 years and getting back into it.  I have found it interesting that back when I was making bows the first time around in the mid 90's, that oak was pretty unanimously look down on.  Now it seems that it has become more accepted and widely adopted as a bow wood.  I had built some board bows out of red oak back then against the advice from a lot of people, mostly because it was something that I could easily pick up at the hardware store.  I did break the limb off of one that had been sitting for years, and it was a pretty impressive explosion.  The limb wacked me in the head, but there were no serious injuries.

So why has oak gained such favor in the past 18 years?  Is it just an availability thing?  I noticed even that on another forum that they have a list of woods some which are listed as non bow woods and others as true bow woods.  Oddly enough to my surprise oak is on the "true bow woods" list.  Here is that link:  http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/47641/List-of-Potenial-Bow-Wood-Species-With-Comments

Seems like from what I remember when reading the "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible" books back in the mid 90's that they recommend against using oak for bows.

So what is your guys take on this?

Thanks I will be curious to hear your answers.

Greebe
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:05:30 pm by Greebe »

Offline Weylin

Re: Oak as a bow wood -- How times have changed!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:45 pm »
People may have their preferences and opinions but it's pretty hard to argue with a mountain of fast, sturdy and good looking bows made out of oak.

Offline Greebe

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »
I wonder why it used to be generally accepted that oak was not good for bows?  Like I said I made some nice bows from oak.  They did not last forever, but they shot well.  Perhaps it is because yew, hickory, or osage were the best woods so in the old days no one experimented much with oak?

It is interesting.  I am not bashing oak, just curious about the change in the preference for oak as a bow wood.

Thanks
Greebe

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:06:11 pm »
I've heard that white oak breaks after hickory if that's true well then there's no arguement
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Oak as a bow wood -- Times have changed!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:39 pm »
I cant think of any wood that would beat hickory in an elasticity race. You can literally tie it in knots.

Greebe its not the species of wood as much as its form that is "looked down" on. Some people are passionate about stave bows and have no time for a board. Just personal preference.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Greebe

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
Gotcha.  I have seen videos on the net where people are making bows out of PVC pipe and are apparently getting good results.  I have thought about playing with that just for fun.  Can you imagine saying you were going to build a bow out of plastic pipe back in the 90's.  People would have thought you were nuts.  I guess maybe times are just changing and people aren't as judgmental as in the past.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 03:27:15 pm »
Oh yes, people are every bot as judgemental as ever. Im one! PVC is for plumbing and wood is for bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »
I think it's an availability thing. It certainly can't be because it's a particularly good wood for bows. I've never heard of any 'bow wood' failing as often as red oak does. Folks often expect it to fail before they even begin.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
I was making bows in the mid 90's and information on design and performance has gotten a lot better. Jim hamm said that you could not make a bow out of a board and I accept that as fact. and then multiple people came along and proved that wrong. more people, more bows makes for better infomation. we all learn from each other

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 04:08:21 pm »
Folks often expect it to fail before they even begin.

Because RO is relatively inexpensive and easy to come by, it is likely used by newer bowyers over "better" more expensive bow woods to cut their teeth on, and since new bowyers break more than experienced bowyers, maybe the bad name that RO seems to have is due to this relation.  Just guessing.  I dont really see a difference between oak and other white woods - - they are design dependent - -so long as the bow is made sufficiently wide and long for the wood species, it will make a fine bow.  PDs specs are right on.  Good Luck. 

Russ   

Offline Poggins

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
I've seen the trend where a lot are building bows out of whatever wood they can , they are plying with design as much as wood type . With the right design a lot of wood out there that was looked down on are turning out good bows ( according to TBB one style was what most bows followed , then someone stepped out of the norm and bows of all styles started surfacing ).

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »
The majority if not all of the red oak boards I've seen that broke have been due to operator error and not the woods fault...mostly due to improper choice of grain or very poor tillering,or both
...I hate to say it,but there's nothing wrong with a good dense properly chosen grained red oak board,and then properly executed....boards are very easy to make a bow with if you get the right piece...everything's straight and squared edges....boards are for the lazy man ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 06:48:09 pm »
Considering the fact that I have never seen a red oak bow made from an actual stave with one back ring and every thing then I cant compare it to other woods that are mostly made from staves. So the fact that most beginners use red oak and probably don't find the best grain pattern could Contribute to red oak bows seen broken IMO Has anyone eve actually made a red oak bow from a stave ??!
I like osage

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:19 pm »
I was making bows in the mid 90's and information on design and performance has gotten a lot better. Jim hamm said that you could not make a bow out of a board and I accept that as fact. and then multiple people came along and proved that wrong. more people, more bows makes for better infomation. we all learn from each other

That in its self can be the problem......When someone of bow building significant says "I do it" then it is exceptable, when your average JOE says the same it's ignored till someone like Hamm gives his stamp of approval....people can be like cattle to the trough, can be very irratating. Make your own path, but keep in mind those that have gone before you! ;)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
The majority if not all of the red oak boards I've seen that broke have been due to operator error and not the woods fault...mostly due to improper choice of grain or very poor tillering,or both
...I hate to say it,but there's nothing wrong with a good dense properly chosen grained red oak board,and then properly executed....boards are very easy to make a bow with if you get the right piece...everything's straight and squared edges....boards are for the lazy man ;)

hey!! I resemble that remark >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹