Author Topic: Questions on coyote quiver..?  (Read 7606 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Questions on coyote quiver..?
« on: July 17, 2013, 02:34:35 pm »
Hey all,

I have a case skinned male yote that is perfect sized for a quiver. My question is should I split it and line it with leather, then sew it back up. Or can I leave it "cased" and sew up the bottom. Any and all insight is welcomed. Its a gorgeous hide and I would prefer to do it right for the animals sake.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

Re: Questions on coyote quiver..?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »
Pics of the pelt?? Just for ogling sake.   8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:09:25 pm »
Nope! But I will post pics of a quiver when Im done.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:52:08 pm »
Pearlie, Patrick(Jackcrafty) has a great build along in the How To section but it was a few years back so you will have to look. I built one a few years ago too so you might look for that one too.
 I cut the pelt apart and built the quiver and strap, some parts lined with leather(thin garmet leather). Patrick built his the way the NAs built theirs(tail first) but it seemed backwarcs to me so I built the one I did with the animal facing forward.
 If you can find them in a search I can probably dig up pics for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:59:10 pm »
Thanks Slinger. Thats the one I was talking about.
  One secret to working with "hair on" hides is to do all your cutting from the flesh side(not te hair side) with a sharp razor or razor knife.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:03:03 pm »
Thanks Slinger. Thats the one I was talking about.
  One secret to working with "hair on" hides is to do all your cutting from the flesh side(not te hair side) with a sharp razor or razor knife.
if you cut from hair side... even with a razor knife... on rabbit skin(untanned) it won't cut quickly at all.
I think coyote is pretty tough, thick, right?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:54:57 pm »
I'm anxiously awaiting the results.
ive got a coyote pelt that id like to turn into a quiver myself
Kevin

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:37:15 pm »
Got a skunk hide waiting to be made into a quiver for my granddaughter, so Chris, GITer done with pictures!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:51:34 pm »
I've got a bobcat quiver that was cased and it has a leather liner slid inside and stitched around the mouth, I shortened up the strap and made it a back quiver after I got a halfeye plains quiver and bow case
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:13 am »
Bub that was one style I had in mind. It seems a good way to protect the inside of the hide and it seems a good way to leave it whole. I have some pondering to do!

Thanks for all the tid bits fellers.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:35:40 am »
Seriously, if you do have to cut the pelt do it from the inside(flesh side). It makes a neater cut and won't cut as much hair that will make you sneeze.  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
Pat I tan and cut all my own silencers. After a few cut from the wrong side you see why! Hair all over and not very "clean" looking when your done. Im quite sure this dude will stay intact.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »
Check out Patricks build along that is posted in here Cherokee. Its pretty good.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 02:50:24 pm »
Thanks Pearly I will check it out.  Did you end up splitting ur hide?  Have you finished yours yet because I would love to check it out?  Seems like you were in same situation.
Aim Small...Hit Small