Author Topic: My first point. ( two more)  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Poggins

My first point. ( two more)
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:53 pm »
I tried my first point today , I was at my mom's today .
There is an old railroad bed and it has some rock that had been hauled in in 1912 and used as riprap around some of the creek tunnels . I went down and used an old brick for a hammer stone and found a rock that wasn't fractured to bad . When I hit this particular rock a shard poped off and I gathered it up with the rock. While I was at my mom's place I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try ( wasn't doing anything but sitting around anyhow) . All I could find to work on the shard with was a couple of old rusty nails but they got the job done. Not pretty but it's my first one , I have an antler bopper and a copper flacker that I made but they were at home , I have played around with the bopper and flacker but haven't tried to knapp a point until now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:40:41 pm by Poggins »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: My first point.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:58 pm »
better than mine! Looks like there is another person who has tried steel for knapping besides a crazy squirrel!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Poggins

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:37:09 am »
Just working with what was available at the time, working on the turnpike has had it's advantages , got a box full of broken antlers to work with .
Just need to keep at it .

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:49:38 am »
Better than my first point, nice job ! Looks like you found some good rock to work as well. Keep at it and your points will improve over time.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:24 am »
It's a little grainy and pretty hard , with such a thin peace I didn't want to break it trying to get longer flakes. If I can get a bigger shard to turn loose I'll try and get bigger flakes and a better point , the way this rock is I may not be able to get a bigger shard without crushing it . Not sure where they hauled the rock in from but I may be able to find more of it , so much of it is fractured up so bad all I get is gravel when I strike it .

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:50:38 am »
Welcome to the addiction ;)not bad at all for your first one. the rock you knocked that spall off of looks like it could yeild many more.
bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:30 am »
Great looking point now put it in a safe place so it wont get lost. You will enjoy looking at it later.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »
I got a few more from that rock , with the dark grainy side and the lighter chalky side and several fractures I was probably lucky to save the ones I got .
Here is a picture of the rock after I started , the center flakes better than the edges , I don't know where the railroad would have hauled it in from or what type of rock it is but I can get several more of them ranging from almost white to dark grey and have seen a little red also. I plan to gather as much of it as I can and even if it is fractured bad I should be able to get at least one or two heads from most of them .

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:56:39 pm »
Very nice looking rock.  You should get several good points from it.  And yes most definately save that point, in a few years you will look back and enjoy how far you have come!
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:04:21 am »
That's the way to do it! Nice looking first point!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Poggins

Re: My first point. ( two more)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 05:43:40 pm »
Got two more , the one on the right I done last night .
Been practicing a little trying to get better flakes and using antler on the one last night and copper on the other.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »
Looks like you have some real nice working rock there. Points are looking good. Btw, is that a miniature self bow and arrow next to the penny or a picture?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Poggins

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 08:52:44 pm »
Points are setting on the cover of my TBB volume one.
The rock is a little grainy , some of it is nice and I'm saving it back, that rock was from the old Katy Railroad the date on the drain going under is 1912 , need to go gather more ( the old railroad bed goes across my brother's place ) .

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:10 pm »
Poggins,
Nice points and a good start. I worked for the Katy RR as a youngster out of Denison.
Looks like you've got lots of knapping to do out of that one rock!
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:03 am »
That looks like "Boone" chert. It comes from around Talequah, OK. Don't know where you found it but it sure looks like Boone.