Author Topic: Do I have time?  (Read 4037 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Do I have time?
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:28:34 pm »
Ok, so I have a quick question on sinewing a bow. I would like to get 2-3 layers on depending on how much reflex it takes but I really only have like 1.5 weeks before I'm off to college. Should I wait until I come back this winter to do it? I still have a lot of things that I have to do to get ready to leave anyway but I think I could get a few hours in. What are your thoughts?  btw the bow to be is an ERC at about 50-55 lbs at 28" currently and has about 1.5 inches of set.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Josh B

Re: Do I have time?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »
I would put all three layers on one right after the other and then put it up to cure while you're away at school.  When you get back,it will be ready to tiller.  Don't expect it to pull itself into reflex on your first sinew job. You might think about a cradle to tie it into to induce whatever reflex you want.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »
I would put all three layers on one right after the other and then put it up to cure while you're away at school.  When you get back,it will be ready to tiller.  Don't expect it to pull itself into reflex on your first sinew job. You might think about a cradle to tie it into to induce whatever reflex you want.  Josh

+1
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
That's a great scenerio you've got there.I'd put two layers on a week apart from each other.You can put it on all at once too but I like to even things out really nice between courses sanding to have a nice finished job.Nice straight and even to get the best from your sinew.Let it set while your at school to fully cure.The bow will be fine.If it's got 1.5 reflex right now you'll have a little more reflex when you get back.Even more if you reverse brace it a couple more inches.Your poundage estimate I can't say because I don't know what it's floor tillering at.I'll say this though that if you put two layers like I said it'll gain at least 10 pounds of draw weight.That's with the layers of sinew completely covering your limbs and even more if the sinew is crowned on the limbs.There is more to this sinewing than I care to get into right now but that's what you'll get above described for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »
I hafta ask, if you already have it drawing 50#@28", why do you want to sinew it?  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:35 pm »
The last bow I sinew backed I put three layers on at once to save time.  I had some problems with how the sinew dried and pulled.  It took me a lot of time to fix it.  From now on I'm putting one layer on at a time. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »
+1 Gun Doc but is he saying that it is already finished at 50 to 55 pounds.Personally if I'm pulling it to 28" and it's holding up and I've taken my helmet off I'd leave it be.Especially with 1.5" reflex yet.Sounds like a good shooter to me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »
I think we need to use different terms when referring to sinew backing. Especially to those who are new to it. I am no expert on sinew backed bows so take it as that. If you do it by weight I feel you can get it more evenly distributed per limb. I also think that too much at once is not really good. If you are doing it in "layers" do it one at a time. If doing it by "courses" do a heavy one then something down the crown of the bow's back. I think Clint is right about using too much at once it doesn't cure properly. The outermost sinew cures or dries faster than the inner and causes problems. I have used thicker "bundles" on the last couple of bows I've done and I think it makes for a nicer looking job. This doesn't necessarily help your question about ERC sinew backing but maybe it can help with future sinew jobs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »
+1 Gun Doc but is he saying that it is already finished at 50 to 55 pounds.Personally if I'm pulling it to 28" and it's holding up and I've taken my helmet off I'd leave it be.Especially with 1.5" reflex yet.Sounds like a good shooter to me.

Lol!  I squirted coffee out my nose on the "taken my helmet off" comment.  That's funny I don't care who you are!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:29 pm »
You have plenty of time to get it done before you leave and still time to prepare for school. Have everything ready before you start so the sinewing goes smoothly.
 I'd put down two or three(if you have enough time)layers but one at a time. You can add the second a few days later or as soon as the first looks dry(big color change). You also have the perfect senerio as far as tolerating the wait of drying sinew.  ;)  Once you get the sinew on the bow place it in a dry spot with some air movement but be sure it is away from pets and pests. I let the sinew backed bows I make rest over the hot water heater in our utility room; out of sight, out of mind. You will have plenty to distract you between now and the time you get back home. The bow should be ready for final tillering then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
So that's how it's done Pat.... ;)Out of sight out of mind.I'll have to try that.Usually every morning while I'm having coffee I set it on the table to goggle at it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
If I did as you do, ED I'd for sure mess with it and screw it up. Don't ask how I know.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 04:01:36 pm »
I hear ya.It has happened. :D I'm getting better at leaving well enough alone now though.I try to look at the big picture.How's your static curve doing?That should be up on the board pretty soon.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »
Would like to know the length of icons' bow though.Need some more facts about it talk about it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »
do you have any of the sinew shredded yet ??
that's a couple hours work in itself....

I will go on to say that nearly all of the sinew backings that I've done have been applied all at the
same time. sometimes there are gaps to fill in later but that only takes a limited amount of time compared
to the initial backing.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.