Author Topic: tiny bug holes a problem?  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tiny bug holes a problem?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02:56 am »
I wouldn't give that bow to anyone. Its not worth the risk.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:17 am »
I agree with Pat.
Honestly it might be fine for now but those sort of things are timebombs....remember a broken bow could blind somebody and i'm definately not the sort of person to rime on about 'health and safety'  :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 04:52:09 pm »
  Those are wood borers.
  Here in WV there really bad. They don't eat green wood but it only takes a week or so for eggs to be lay ed and hatched and the larvae start eating down in the dead wood. And as soon as the trees cut it's dead.
  With Osage I add super glue with dust. I've make upwards of 20 OSAGE BOWS WITH BOARER HOLES. When I started cutting stave wood 22 years ago. That first year I didn't know about wood borers.
    I never had had a bow returned. But white woods another thing. Doing the glue thing has worked on some. But they'll usely left a splinter at that point. Backing the best advice. I'VE ALSO SEEN THAT CYRISTILLIZEING STARTS AROUND THESE AREAS.
  I build a few bows everyyear I also cut ,season and sell lots of stave's everyyear.
 Like I said WV or anywhere you have wood borers there's only one thing to do. As soon as I get my logs home I spray it down with any pesticide. I usually use what ever LOWES have cheap.
 Next as I split into stave in the weeks months to come (WHEN IHAVE TIME) After I split into stave's I'll spray down the bark again.
  I don't think eggs are lay ed after that first years. But no sure because I've aways strayed. The are some woods they won't use persimmon,sassafras,cedars that I know of.
   If your have the time to debark and seal the stave NO need to spray it down. The borers eggs are only lay ed in the bark.
  Hers one other thing some hard woods they only eat to the hard wood then feed (eat) side ways. I guess the hard woods to hard. Like I say pic's. some posted.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »
I guess that I am not so safety minded , since I have given away bows with bug holes in them
In fact I gave away a hickory bow a little over a year ago that was riddled with them !
It started out as a lets see how far I can get before this thing blows , but it didnt and a fellow saw it and just had to have it !
some went in the back and came out the side, others disappeared to who knows where, some ran out the belly ,and some just skimmed the back for a few inches !
None of the holes were filled with glue , just left them alone !
We named it beetle juice ! All though they were borers not beetles !
At any rate have fun and stay safe !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Don't forget my school colors were black and blue and some times purple and green !  :laugh: :laugh:
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Newindian

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »
The wood wasn't cut buy me and I've already talked with the supplier, filled with superglue and sill holding fine.
I like free stuff.