Author Topic: rockwell jaw horse  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Bloodhound

rockwell jaw horse
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:17:05 pm »
Anyone use one making bows? I work in my driveway/yard a lot and this looks like a huge improvement over my saw horses as a work stand. That and I cant find a shaving horse for sale locally.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: rockwell jaw horse
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »
Your hard at it heh.Good to hear.I don't use any type of horse for shaving.Just a cabinet makers vice which is 4" by 10" attatched to a work bench then I put the other end of stave on a stool and I sit astraddle the stave and chase a ring.,or I just set the stave up against a tree and remove sapwood and bark keeping the mess in the woods.Tillering the bow is done in my vice.
Your saw horse is a nice mobile idea though.They got plans to build one somewhere on here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »
I see a stave press for sale in the new 3 Rivers catalog for 122.00 and a shaving horse for 180.00.There are plans out there to build one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:41 pm »
Yea im workin on a nice peice of ash. I would get a press but want to work outside where theres no bench. I thought about ordering that horse but shipping has to be a killer. I may build one yet though, except i like to work standing. Maybe i should just build a work bench in the driveway. Or one that mounts to the brush guard on my truck.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:19:39 pm »
I have the stavepress and I work outside with it without a bench.  I concreted a galvanized fence pole in the ground, removed the press from its stand, and put it right on the pole.  I love it.  As the sunlight angle changes I can swing the stave around and the whole press moves on the pole so I get the best light. 
Its semi-permanent.  If you want to move the pole just dig it up and fill in the hole.   I keep a bucket over the press when raining or it can be lifted off and moved indoors.
Those stave presses handle a big piece of wood.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:02:14 am »
They had a stave press mounted on a pole that was on a pickup truck's trailer hitch at Mojam last year. Can't get more portable than that...

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:38:22 am »
I built a shaving horse years ago and have made many shavings on it but last year I bought one of Keenan's Stave Masters. It is the best bow bench I have ever used. You can tell it was thought up and  built by a bowyer. Very versitile, stable, relatively light weight and breaks down easily for transport. Keenan is not only a sponsor on PA but one heck of a bowyer and a good friend.
  Check out the sponsors list or Google StaveMaster.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:02:44 am »
Doesn't Keenan's StaveMaster require that you sit? 

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 01:14:09 am »
Yes, you sit. I still use a bench vice for the heavy work like stripping bark and removing excess wood but from floor tiller stage I use the StaveMaster. I got mine without a seat and bought a plastic shell boat seat. Keenan welds a swivel on the frame that will fit most boat seats.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:36 am »
Bloodhound wants to stand

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 03:04:54 am »
They had a stave press mounted on a pole that was on a pickup truck's trailer hitch at Mojam last year. Can't get more portable than that...

That sounds perfect for me, how did it mount to the hitch?

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 04:23:28 am »
I think that the pole (pipe?) was welded to a plate that bolted to the holes on the bumper hitch part...?

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:48 pm »
I use a jaw horse. It work good for rasping and scraping. Terrible for draw horse.
It work good for a mobile workspace. I work outside and don't have a shop. a real shave horse in on my "list". In the mean time I will continue to use the Jaw horse.

If you have one it will work (sort of). If you were looking to get something to work on bows with....... There are better options out there.

Keith