Author Topic: Fletching Temptations!  (Read 11054 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Fletching Temptations!
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:26:28 am »
I have to admit!  I am tempted all the time to pick up "illegal" feathers for fletching.  In fact whenever I think of a bird, I think of how its feathers would look on an arrow.  Saw this anhinga bird today and just wanted to pluck a couple tail feathers out.  So what I'm wondering from y'all is what is your most desired fletching (for looks) that you will never legally be able to use?

Here's one of mine right here.  Eastern two fletch those tail feathers!

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Newindian

Re: Fletching Temptations!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:32:09 am »
Ocellated turkey (although legal)
Flamingos
Bald eagle (not that pretty but cool)
Quetzal
King fisher
Penguin would be interesting and so would blue Jay if their feathers were big enough.
There are plenty of beautiful legal feather I'll never be able to use.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:49:14 am by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:41 pm »
Definitely Barn owl. If one comes up dead around my place some day, I think I'll have to use it lol.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:10:25 pm »
Great Horned Owl
Swift and silent.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
I've found a few shed owl feathers and man it's tempting to pick them up.

Quetzal

:o Jungle spirits would haunt you forever if you used quetzal feathers!

Those ocellated turkey tail feathers are sweet looking!  Next time I'm in the yucatan....

It seems like kingfisher and and blue jay feathers would be too small.  I was thinking about using dove feathers.  Is there a way to use such small feathers?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »
Sonoran Raven (for the mojo ;D)
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:56:32 pm »
Flicker feathers would be good too.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:44 pm »
For beauty and pure hunting mojo, there is only one choice for me.  That would be primaries, secondaries, and tailfeathers from a turkey I had harvested with a bow I have built myself. 

Some may think that is not exciting, but so far I have not been able to put that combination together.  Sad, huh?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:50:39 pm »
There is no temptation for illegal feather harvesting for me, any color in the world can be ordered for less than the fine of getting caught with said feathers
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:06 am »
There is no temptation for illegal feather harvesting for me, any color in the world can be ordered for less than the fine of getting caught with said feathers
I would rather have chicken feathers brown from being left in the poo to long than get fakes >:D
I like free stuff.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 01:50:55 am »
For beauty and pure hunting mojo, there is only one choice for me.  That would be primaries, secondaries, and tailfeathers from a turkey I had harvested with a bow I have built myself. 

Some may think that is not exciting, but so far I have not been able to put that combination together.  Sad, huh?

That would be awesome!  I definitely think Turkey feathers are sweet looking, no doubt.  Harvesting and fully utilizing your harvest to help with the next harvest would be incredible.

I would rather have chicken feathers brown from being left in the poo to long than get fakes >:D
  I'd rather use penguin feathers! LOL

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:40 pm »
Yeah, PT, that's why I think there is big mojo in getting those turkey feathers on a set of my arrows.

As for the penguin feathers....would you use those arrows for bow ice fishing?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:57:29 pm »
Yeah, PT, that's why I think there is big mojo in getting those turkey feathers on a set of my arrows.

As for the penguin feathers....would you use those arrows for bow ice fishing?

I'd probably hunt seals with those suckers.  Have walrus tusk arrowheads too. lol   ....while I'm being a poacher I might as well go all out. lol  >:D

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »
These fer sher!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »
4dog!  The crested caracara!  I totally forgot about those!  I've seen a few of those while out and about too.  Those are certainly protected here in Florida.