Author Topic: Sharpening a scraper without re-doing the burr?  (Read 5882 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Sharpening a scraper without re-doing the burr?
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:40:19 am »
Someone in a thread said you can do this, but I never caught actually how you do it? Anybody do this? I always just redo all the burrs at once when mine gets dull, which seems to happen pretty fast... Do you just run a wet stone on the bottom of the burr, or the top? Or a file?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

Re: Sharpening a scraper without re-doing the burr?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
I re-sharpen my scrapers with a tool that holds a file at a 90 degree angle, and then I re-do the burr, usually at 15 degrees.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:07 am »
I think most of the folks that don't reburr are sanding the scraper on a belt sander the heat gives you a bit of a burr without all the extra work !
The belt travels the length of the scraper at 90 degrees to the face .
The heat rolls material of the sides causing the burrs !
Not as nice a burr, but fast !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:38:49 am »
I do it on a belt sander,hold the edge flat for just a second the flip it around do the same.Takes 30 seconds and does a nice job,may not last as long,not sure
cause that is the only way I have ever done it, but it's quick. Be back to scrapping in less than A minute. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:42:56 pm »
I've never "done a burr" right.

Use the file / wet stone to square it.  Use the side of a good screwdriver to mash a bur on .  Touch it up periodicaly withthe screwdriver.  No jigs or pricise measurements.  Works fine for me.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:58:54 pm »
I've never "done a burr" right.

Use the file / wet stone to square it.  Use the side of a good screwdriver to mash a bur on .  Touch it up periodicaly withthe screwdriver.  No jigs or pricise measurements.  Works fine for me.

This is pretty much how I do it too. Square it up and straighten the edge with a metal file held in a vise. Then use a screwdriver or shank of a lathe chisel to roll a burr.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:28 pm »
If you had a good burr once, but due to use it is now dull, you can refresh the edge a couple of times (depending on how hard the use it has seen) by just re burnishing the edge - - ie.  just roll a new burr without refiling or re-stoning.  You can do this a few times, usually, before it gets so bad that you have to refile and restone - - or use the belt sander, etc.  Once done, you can feel the burr with your fingernail, to see if you have enough and if it is smooth (no nicks). 

Russ

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »
I think I was the one who mentioned it, and that's what I meant... just reestablish the burr with the burnisher.... without going all the way back to the file and stone. You can usually, not always, take this shortcut a time or two before you have to completely remove the burr and square everything up.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
Sweet, thanks guys. Did not know half of this,  ;D.

Edit: Actually, what I meant was any of this, haha.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »
I have had good results by simply putting a file in a vice and then running the scraper along it a few times. Then turn it around and run it through the other direction a few times so that I don't get a tapered edge. Ten seconds and its back to peeling shavings right off. It might not give the same quality edge as going through the whole burnishing and burring thing, but it works quite well in my opinion, and its just so darn easy and quick.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:36:15 pm »
A screwdriver shaft will put a nice enough burr on a scraper. Takes about 3-4 strokes per edges and its there to feel. I touch mine up on a bastard with about 15-25 strokes, then the screwdriver deal. Takes about 30 seconds total and seems to hold for a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:03:18 pm »
What kind of metal are you guys using for scrapers?  ???  I have been using mine for 3+ years and haven't had to touch it up.  It is from a circular saw blade.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:21:44 pm »
I do it on a belt sander,hold the edge flat for just a second the flip it around do the same.Takes 30 seconds and does a nice job,may not last as long,not sure
cause that is the only way I have ever done it, but it's quick. Be back to scrapping in less than A minute. ;) :)
   Pappy
I do it on a 120 grit dry grindstone going 3,000 RPM- it gives a smooth bur by heating the material. Works on the scrapers i make from old chrome-nickel steel saw blades. Otherwise  they cannot be sharpened.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:58 am »
What kind of metal are you guys using for scrapers?  ???  I have been using mine for 3+ years and haven't had to touch it up.  It is from a circular saw blade.

All my scrapers are made from my old miter saw and skil saw blades and I never do any touching up to them. I cut em out with a grinder and it leaves a bur that lasts a long time.

Osage Mark

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:52 am »
a belt sander will give you a ruff cut the sharping stone is the better way

I bought one of those scrapers 1/8" x 1" x 8"  new some body took a hand grinder to it
I put it on my surface grinder and squared it up, cuts like a champ.