Author Topic: Looking for stave shipping info.  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Looking for stave shipping info.
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
What is the best $ way to ship a stave? USPS or UPS can they ship USPS? What kind of prices are to be expected?
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Looking for stave shipping info.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:59:39 pm »
USPS all the way Ed. I shipped a stave all the way across to Brycey boy and it was under $20. Matter of fact Ive never shipped a stave for over $20. Keep it around 70" max. Any more length and they'll get ya'.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:28:22 pm »
Thanks Pearl Drums
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »
to tack on to this theme - - how do you wrap the stave, or do you you slap a shipping label on the bark?   :-)

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »
Russ Ive seen them shipped all kinds of ways. Myself? I bought a roll of shrink wrap and just wrap 2-3 layers around it and ship it. Ive never had an issue. I usually will run a few bands of duct tape around each end so the wrap doesn't come undone and make a mess. I also trim them up with as much as possible to lighten them. Sending out a single bow stave with 1 1/2 bows worth of wood isn't good for the costs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:32:07 pm »
I wrap staves in brown wrapping paper  and shipping tape because I have it. You can use just tape or for that matter if it doesn't have splinters just with a lable.
  USPS is the only way I ship staves, shoots cane, bows, whatever. Now you can track any package shipped USPS.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:59 pm »
Yup, good old Post Office for me too.  Half the cost of the others and it gets there just as quick. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:17 pm »
Thanks guys.  Easy peasy - just the way I like it. 

Now that I know what to do, who wants to trade some staves? 

I know, I know - - - go to the trade section.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:40:06 pm »
I wrap mine in the plastic wrap and tape it up. Then I ship Priority mail, USPS. I've never had a problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »
Thank you all fro the reply's. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline wildman

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:00 pm »
For an example, I shipped a 68'' stave from west Ky to Ak a few weeks ago fo $18.00 USPS got there in a week.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:14 pm »
I shipped my trade bow out today through usps. I used 4 in sewer pipe (the lighter pvc) for the container. Not sure of the weight, but the length was 66". It was $13 plus $3 for insurance. I was surprised. I thought it was around $20 last year.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »
Shipping prices went up this year.  The last stave I sent was around $27.  It was a pretty meaty stave though.  I wrap them in black plastic and tape them up.  Try to stay under 70"  They measure length and girth.  If it is over a certain amount there is an extra charge. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50:25 pm »
Thats cause you live in the boonys Clint. Heck it takes two days just to clear your holler to the north.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 11:41:40 pm »
Thats cause you live in the boonys Clint. Heck it takes two days just to clear your holler to the north.

And that's how I like it Pearly  :)   Quiet and peaceful. 

That stave that cost $27 to ship went to the west coast.  That's probably why it was so much.  At least somebody out there knows what good bow wood is  ;D

One more thing to add to the conversation.......Shipping to Canada is expensive.  Shipping across the ocean is even more expensive.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left