Author Topic: AtlAtl question.  (Read 2039 times)

Offline warpath

AtlAtl question.
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:14 pm »
  I've been making atlatls for many years now and I've tried something new. (New to me that is.) I've been plugging the ends of bamboo similar to how bamboo arrows are made. Then carve the dimple in the tapered end and carving the the fatter end into a point to accept common target tips and broadheads in either 11/32" or 23/64" diameter. After about 9 months of using the set I made for myself, I've never had any problems with them and most likely won't go back to foreshafts. I've also shaped the fletching to a low profile medieval style cut instead of leaving them flu-flu like. I guess my question is, why don't people do this more often?
  I understand that a foreshaft is easier to replace. However, plugging the ends has made the darts so sturdy that they haven't broken or even cracked yet. 2 sets were made. 4 darts out of tonkin bamboo and 4 darts out of calcutta bamboo. Anyone else try this yet? Feedback encouraged. Thank you.

G

Offline stickbender

Re: AtlAtl question.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:37 pm »

As far as I know, or have read, the main reason for fore shafts were so the points could be quickly replaced while hunting.  If you hit an animal, and the dart came out, you could slip in another fore shaft,and point, and continue, or if you missed, and broke the point, you had a readily available replacement.  Sort of like replacing clips. ;)

Wayne

Offline warpath

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »
Stickbender-  I realize that. However, I leant the set-up to a friend of mine and he made meat with it. I was impressed since he's not the best atlatl thrower. He hit 2 trees and a few rocks before making a kill and didn't ruin the darts. He did have to replace a few tips though. Since I mostly use mine for target practice and just generally messing around, it's worked out great for me. Any other thoughts?

G

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:04:58 pm »
I don't use an atlatl but I can relate with bows sort of I've never made and bamboo arrows with fore shafts, although I like the idea of being able to quickly change points, I have found solid hickory shafts to be the toughest most durable arrow material I've ever shot My two split hickory shafts have outlasted all of my store bought arrows. I don't if this exactly relates but it's what came to mind
I like osage

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:51:37 am »
Warpath, I cut some river cane in TN this spring at the Classic. I have made darts out of three of the ones I cut.  The first one I made a fore shaft and it broke, so I just left the broken part in the dart and sharpened it.  It has worked great, but did split some the other day. I plan on wrapping it and continuing on in that manner. This dart also had the Fluflu style fletch. I made another with just a wedge style cut for the point and lower profole fletch and it throws great, far and accurate. Both these arrows are almost 6' long. Then I made a four footer the same as the last one and it throws real good too. I like the lower profile fletching a lot.  Gun Doc made some of his darts two piece once so he could carry them in a quiver. Gotta go...the wife calls.  :P I'll check back later , dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline warpath

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:22:11 pm »
Bowtarist- O.K. so I'm not the only one that has done this. That makes me feel better. I do like the replaceable foreshafts, but I find that they break easily. Plugging and sharpening the ends has worked out better for me. The bamboo and cane that I've always used split after alot of use anyway so I got used to binding the ends.

G