Author Topic: attemting to build a boat.  (Read 14992 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Re: attemting to build a boat.
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 05:37:37 am »

Would be the keel, you're thinking of?  Yeah, if you can, use regular wood, and seal it.  If all you have is the MDF, then seal it also, with a good acrylic, or epoxy. ;)  I will vote # 1, because he has spirit, and is adventurous! ;)  And I am sure he has a life vest. ;)  Now just think, if you had all the money you have spent on this boat, you could take your Girlfriend, to a nice little Pub, and have a steak and kidney pie, and a pint each, while enjoying a nice quiet conversation, unless there is a soccer game on the telly. ::)  Or you could buy more beer, and cook her parents the rest of the fox.  ;)  ;D
     But I do believe it will float.  ........ for awhile at least. ::)  Seal it well, sailor, seal it well!  And beware of the Great Whites that frequent the channel!

Wayne

Lol.  Thanks for believeing in me and the project.  Madcrow sent me a link to a website with plans for a 14' canoe which I will give a try after this project
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »
hey everyone, im thinking of making a place on the boat to hold a bow so if for example you set up targets around a small lake you can sit in the boat and shoot from the water. what do you think of this idea?

i decided to include the MDFand fitted them to the frame, only because it won't be getting wet and im going to seal it up with varnish anyway. i then added the spine to it. im now in the proces of gluing and nailing on the ribs.

im going to go add some more ribs, then start making the strips for the outside of the canoe.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 08:45:36 pm »

You might want to make the bottom a bit more flat, or at leas angled to the sides, otherwise, it will be just a wee bit too tippy! ;) ::)  It will roll over in a blink of an eye! ;)  Just think of log rolling, or trying to paddle while straddling a fifty five gallon barrel! :o ;) ;D ;D  But looking pretty cool so far.  I still vote #1. 8)

Wayne

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 09:38:44 am »
Yes that thought crossed my mind so I spent an hour last night trying to think of a solution. I just happened to be watching an episode of ray meres and he was with a tribe making a dugout canoe. Then to make it more stable they attached an outrigger.  Then I thought that's what ill do! Its so frustrating.  All the ribs keep breaking.  In going to use more pine instead
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline autologus

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »
Is it just me or does it look awfully small for a boat.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Marks

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:26 pm »

Grady

hehe, yeah now imagine Bowslayer trying to stand up in it and shoot a bow. I think it is meant as a scaled down trial build.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 04:43:08 pm »

Grady

I believe he said it was a kayak not a boat
I like osage

Offline Marks

Re: something SECRET
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 05:47:22 pm »
A boat of some sort.
[/quote

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: congrats my friend you have guessed it right! your prize is a lifetime supply of FREE oxygen!  :P lol

yes everyone im attemting to make a canoe/kayak. and here is the best bit... im doing it with a budget of only.......£/$ 25! yes it's very low budget and that is why im making it from pine. the thin strips are going to be the "ribs" and the two long pieces will be joined at the ends to make a type of leaf shape. im following a two part video on youtube but im making it smaller and from a diffrent material.

There you go. It a canoe/kayak but smaller and with weaker materials ;) ;D.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »

Grady

I believe he said it was a kayak not a boat

Yes it is a kayak.  But it is also a bit on the small side. I noticed this as soon as I made the frame.  So I decided that if I don't fit in it ill make a bigger 10' long one and use this one as a practice.  So far this project has cost me under £/$ 15 as I get my materials from a where house that sell in bulk.  I can get a 2.1 meter board for around £/$ 1. Also when I was talking about shooting from the boat I meant from a sitting position.  I'll upload more pictures when I finish the ribs.  ( great now im hungry and want pork ribs) :P
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 06:01:15 pm »
One of the most successful and beloved canoe designs is a 10.5 foot open canoe called the Wee Lassie (happens to be the first canoe I built) - - so size alone is not the best way to judge.  What kind of water he intends to paddle is a more important question, in my mind.  All that aside, when using bent ply ribs and other assorted MDF bits and pieces, I would make sure you will be using a good life jacket when you paddle. 

Seriously - - with all the work you will put into the boat (at least twice what you expect in advance) - you really should use some materials that have at least a chance at surviving the elements you intend to use the boat in.  MDF, with all the varnish and epoxy (expensive) in the world, will not stand up to a wet environment at all.  You would be better off using exterior grade ply, although not so pretty. 

I am not one to harp on people for not taking my advice - - I just would hate to see you put so much work into a boat and only be able to paddle it once because it fell apart, solely because you used materials not suited to a wet environment (to say nothing about an under water one). 

Good Luck and I will be watching how it goes for you. 

Russ

PS - - I just thought about it - - you should google "the 6 hour canoe" or the "one sheet ply canoe" or "the lumberyard skiff" and see what you see.  I expect you will find a lot to keep you interested.   

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:48 pm »
One of the most successful and beloved canoe designs is a 10.5 foot open canoe called the Wee Lassie (happens to be the first canoe I built) - - so size alone is not the best way to judge.  What kind of water he intends to paddle is a more important question, in my mind.  All that aside, when using bent ply ribs and other assorted MDF bits and pieces, I would make sure you will be using a good life jacket when you paddle. 

Seriously - - with all the work you will put into the boat (at least twice what you expect in advance) - you really should use some materials that have at least a chance at surviving the elements you intend to use the boat in.  MDF, with all the varnish and epoxy (expensive) in the world, will not stand up to a wet environment at all.  You would be better off using exterior grade ply, although not so pretty. 

I am not one to harp on people for not taking my advice - - I just would hate to see you put so much work into a boat and only be able to paddle it once because it fell apart, solely because you used materials not suited to a wet environment (to say nothing about an under water one). 

Good Luck and I will be watching how it goes for you. 

Russ

PS - - I just thought about it - - you should google "the 6 hour canoe" or the "one sheet ply canoe" or "the lumberyard skiff" and see what you see.  I expect you will find a lot to keep you interested.   

thank's for the advice, thinking about it now i might keep this out of the water and keep it in the frame stage (with ribs)use it as a wall hanger in the workshop and scale it up for a boat big enough for me and made from the right materials. it will work out cheaper. im also going to google thoose. thanks

P.s wish me luck everyone as im going job hunting tommorow to find a summer job to fund this latest hoby (and my bows)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2013, 02:15:07 am »

Good wishes on the way! ;) 8)

Wayne

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2013, 04:30:21 am »
Thanks Wayne
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:03 am »
im gonna put a stop to this boat for now and start a bigger one. i have 2 boards of pine 7' long that im going to use as a frame. im making them 1 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick and 7' long. that should make a good sized kayak IMO ill get started on it later today.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 10:27:51 am »
I think that'll still be too short.  Get a couple extra boards and do a scarf joint to make them longer.

Have you ever kayaked before? A short kayak is not really fun for a beginner to paddle.  They don't track as well as one even a few feet longer.  If I was you I'd shoot for 10 feet minimum, but preferably 14.