Author Topic: attemting to build a boat.  (Read 14988 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Re: attemting to build a boat.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:52 pm »

Very good Sir, an excellent start on the joys of afor paddles im not sure.  But ill cross that bridge when I get to it. tic transport into the creeks,bays, and marshes, of Goode Ole England! ;) 8)  Are you going to cover it with canvas, or strips?  Fiberglass cloth, and fiber glass resin?  Pray tell, just what method are you going encapsulate your water craft with?  Whilst making the water craft, have you thought of what style paddles?  OK, OK, what'cha gonna cover the frame with? :D   OOOOh, have SquirrelSlinger send you some shark skin, and you can use the dorsal fin for planes, and stabilization, or as a keel, or rudder...... ;D ;D ;D 8) 8), OK, sorry about that, but woldn't that be a conversation piece at the Yacht club! :o ;) ::) ::) ;D
Looking good so far, keep us updated with your progress.  Thanks.

Wayne

Lol. Thanks.  Im planning to cover it in wooden strips.  If that doesn't work ill use some plastic sheeting like the skin on canoes. as f
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:01 pm »
you need to fix the photos i cant see anything!

fixed! ;)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »

I don't know if you have it over there, but here there is a company called West Marine, and they specialize in all things maritime, and such.  They have a product called "The West system".  It is basically a high tech epoxy, or resin.  It is used on just everything you would use fiber glass on, but it is perfect for strip builds. ;)

Wayne

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 04:36:03 am »

I don't know if you have it over there, but here there is a company called West Marine, and they specialize in all things maritime, and such.  They have a product called "The West system".  It is basically a high tech epoxy, or resin.  It is used on just everything you would use fiber glass on, but it is perfect for strip builds. ;)

Wayne

I don't know.  But I'll Google it. I have a container of resin in the garage.  Would that work?  Have you ever made a boat?  Thanks :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2013, 08:55:59 am »
Here is a boat I built some 25 years ago. The canvas needs to be reapplied.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 09:01:02 am »
It was called a durham boat. The bulk heads are built first and jigged up and runners screw to them. Be sure to lift the nose and tail a couple of inches or it will hog on you once removed from frame. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:12:32 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »
that boat looks great. i just some more wood so should be doing some work to it soon. it was too hot today so i didn't get much done :embarassed: thanks.  ;D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:45 am »
ok so it is still boiling hot here in the UK so im going to call it a day. but i managed to make the ends of the boat "stems" that atatch to the "spine" (i call it the spine because i can't remember what it's called and it's what attatches to the ribs) i have some wood to use for the spine which ill work on tommorow. i also need to find some glue to hold it together as the joint is looking a little weak :-\ i guess thats what happens when you use hot glue :o ;D :laugh:

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:08 pm »
Is that MDF you are using?  The real heavy stuff that is made of press paper.  The stuff that swells up when it gets wet.  If so, I would not use that on any boat or on any area that is likely to get wet.  If using for just forms, that is ok, but if you are planning for that stuff to be in the finished boat, I would recommend against.    Although I would also recommend against ply (unless marine), it would work far better for you than using MDF.  My 2 cents.

Russ   

Offline autologus

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »
When you get done you can take it across the channel and invade France, I'm sure they won't put up much of a fight.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 06:52:59 pm »
Haha. Maybe I could introduce them to roast fox >:D they already eat frog legs and snails :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:12 pm »
I wouldn't recommend using pressed cardboard or MDf what ever you wanna call it as soon as it gets wet it will fall apart
I like osage

Offline Roy

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:48 am »
We need to start a poll here. Vote 1 if it will float and 2 if it will sink. :) ;)
I say 2...

Offline chamookman

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 03:40:40 am »
I'll vote - 22222222222222222222222222222222222
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:10 am »

Would be the keel, you're thinking of?  Yeah, if you can, use regular wood, and seal it.  If all you have is the MDF, then seal it also, with a good acrylic, or epoxy. ;)  I will vote # 1, because he has spirit, and is adventurous! ;)  And I am sure he has a life vest. ;)  Now just think, if you had all the money you have spent on this boat, you could take your Girlfriend, to a nice little Pub, and have a steak and kidney pie, and a pint each, while enjoying a nice quiet conversation, unless there is a soccer game on the telly. ::)  Or you could buy more beer, and cook her parents the rest of the fox.  ;)  ;D
     But I do believe it will float.  ........ for awhile at least. ::)  Seal it well, sailor, seal it well!  And beware of the Great Whites that frequent the channel!

Wayne