Author Topic: attemting to build a boat.  (Read 14990 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: something SECRET
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
Man! Do your Parents supervise your activities? Heck, do you have Parents?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »
Is it skis?

I think it's skis.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 03:15:59 pm »
Lol yeah I do have parents.  Very understanding parents at that.  :laugh: they will let me do anything so long as I pay for it and im not directly hurting anyone.  They trust me to do things safety, there only rule is that I only use the circular saw when someone is in the house.  :D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »
Is it skis?

I think it's skis.

Not skis but that would make a good project after this one if tgis one even works
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »
A boat of some sort.
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 04:12:45 pm »
A boat of some sort.
[/quote

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: congrats my friend you have guessed it right! your prize is a lifetime supply of FREE oxygen!  :P lol

yes everyone im attemting to make a canoe/kayak. and here is the best bit... im doing it with a budget of only.......£/$ 25! yes it's very low budget and that is why im making it from pine. the thin strips are going to be the "ribs" and the two long pieces will be joined at the ends to make a type of leaf shape. im following a two part video on youtube but im making it smaller and from a diffrent material.

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

Re: something SECRET (secret revealed)
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 04:18:14 pm »
Very cool hope it works out for ya. I want to make a dug out canoe one of these days
I like osage

Offline Roy

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »
I suggest you buy and wear a life vest then if your making it... ;D ;)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 04:23:33 pm »
Very cool hope it works out for ya. I want to make a dug out canoe one of these days

so did i, i had a tree fall over near me (20" diamitre) that i thought i could use for bow staves but was to big. then i thought of a dugout canoe after seeing it in an episode of ray mears survival or something like that. next day wen't down the road with my saw and a freind with a van only to see that the council had taken it  >:(

I suggest you buy and wear a life vest then if your making it... ;D ;)

definatley. ill keep posting pics along the way ;)

has anyone noticed that the entire peice of pine had no knots! the boat gods were watching upon me when i found it lying right near the top
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 04:36:49 am »
Be sure to paint it yellow - remember the Beatles song "Yellow Submarine" ?
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »
Be sure to paint it yellow - remember the Beatles song "Yellow Submarine" ?

I have a better idea, send me some osage to make a boat. >:D Then I won't need to paint it yellow  :P :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 01:36:19 pm »
ok so when i left you guys i had cut the main frame thingy in half here is how today wen't, i got quite alot done and it looks more like a boat than skis/ ;D

ok so at each end i cut angles to make it join. i used C-clamps to hold it while i made sure they lined up

before i go any further, 3 days ago all i knew about boats is that they go in water. now im making one after only doing 5 hours of making planning and watching 10 hours of youtube videos on the subject (also how i study for exams) the reason i did it like that is because I mostly learn by watching and acctualy doing not by reading pages and pages of writing.

right, back on topic, i cut the joints into both ends and held with clamps. here is a look down the frame.

i then used hot glue to secure the joint, i know hot glue is weak but it was all i had, i then drilled some holes and put some square pegs i made into the round holes.

i know it's not very clear in the picture but it shows the peg going through the hole.

then, to spread it out i used my circular saw to cut a piece of hardwood flooring 19" long and then i spread it out, i then drilled into the side of the frame and into the bar going across. this scared me as the PINE was under about 40# of pressure and drilling into it made me feel like i was violating a ring on a stave  :-\ but it's holding up  :laugh: :o :)

now then, knowing the joint i made with hot glue and "dowels" was weak i got some MDF (medium density fiberboard) and traced the shape of the joint onto the board. and used my circular saw to cut it out, i then done then drilled holes and used more pegs to hold it in, thinking about it now i should probably glue them in to :o because it's so ugly i might paint it white and then put a picture of something on it. acctualy lets hear some ideas of a picture you would put on the boat :laugh:

ok then, the plan for tommorow is to bend some "recurves" into a bit of pine to make the bottom of the boat. thanks for reading.

because my old account was full i made a new account and uploaded the pics from there.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:29:33 pm by BowSlayer »
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: attemting to build a boat.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »
you need to fix the photos i cant see anything!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »
you need to fix the photos i cant see anything!

im running out of storage space, im deleting some old pictures. try clicking on it, it will take you to my photobucket page and you can see it there. thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 04:43:30 pm »

Very good Sir, an excellent start on the joys of aquatic transport into the creeks,bays, and marshes, of Goode Ole England! ;) 8)  Are you going to cover it with canvas, or strips?  Fiberglass cloth, and fiber glass resin?  Pray tell, just what method are you going encapsulate your water craft with?  Whilst making the water craft, have you thought of what style paddles?  OK, OK, what'cha gonna cover the frame with? :D   OOOOh, have SquirrelSlinger send you some shark skin, and you can use the dorsal fin for planes, and stabilization, or as a keel, or rudder...... ;D ;D ;D 8) 8), OK, sorry about that, but woldn't that be a conversation piece at the Yacht club! :o ;) ::) ::) ;D
Looking good so far, keep us updated with your progress.  Thanks.

Wayne