Author Topic: elm log a week on the ground  (Read 3029 times)

Offline rps3

elm log a week on the ground
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:57:35 am »
This log set for a week on the ground with a good bit of rain before I could get to it. My guy cut it at a bad time for me. Should I have any concerns about its integrity as bow wood with that in mind?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: elm log a week on the ground
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:29:20 am »
I doubt it. Was the bark on? I have left untreated, unsealed elm logs lying on the woodpile for more than 3 months WITH the bark on and they are fine for bows. I left an ash trunk with the bark on on ze ground for almost 6 months, its good strong wood still.
If it doesn't show any rot, its probably OK.
Were the ends sealed? Split off a small piece once you split it into staves and then see how it bends.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:30:27 am »
No concerns, it will be just fine.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:35 am »
rps3.....What you can do is after you have a stave ready cut a thin sliver 1/16" or less off of the end of your stave.Hold it up to the light and if there are air holes showing through it is no good.If it is transluscent or amberish it is good.Paul Comstock told me this himself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:58:55 am »
Shouldn't be a problem at all, but I do get white wood out of the weather as so as I can. Wouldn't want to leave it 6 months or even 3 for that matter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:20:22 am »
you should be all set.  rot doesn't move in that fast.  Especially if it was still alive when you cut it.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 11:46:17 am »
I would split it down into 3 inch wide staves and remove the bark and an inch from either end. Then seal up the backs and ends. If bugs have laid anything in there it will be in the bark so best to get shut.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:14 pm »
I think its ok too Bob just get it all debarked n sealed n put away asap.....hey..ya sick of this rain yet?  ::)

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 12:21:00 pm »
Good to hear that it should be fine. Sick of the rain for sure, I split this log in a downpour. My 8 y/o granddaughter said mother nature is mad cause I cut the tree, that is why it is raining. She said if I plant another it will be ok. Guess I better get on that.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »
Good to hear that it should be fine. Sick of the rain for sure, I split this log in a downpour. My 8 y/o granddaughter said mother nature is mad cause I cut the tree, that is why it is raining. She said if I plant another it will be ok. Guess I better get on that.

Now that is funny!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 02:11:18 pm »
Fungi needs moisture to survive and thrive. Get the bark off and the wood stacked under cover with good air circulation and you'll be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:24:01 pm »
I would use it, but i use anything as bow wood. ::)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
I think its ok too Bob just get it all debarked n sealed n put away asap.....hey..ya sick of this rain yet?  ::)

What rain??? all we've had is 80F+ days to the point where my room is ALWAYS at 80F
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »
Muffin u lucky summbi***!! We've had 100+ weather here, have ta sit in puddles all day.  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:37 am »

What rain??? all we've had is 80F+ days to the point where my room is ALWAYS at 80F

Apparently the pacific northwest weather has moved and setup shop on the east coast  :laugh: