Author Topic: Some more beginning flaking  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Some more beginning flaking
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:14 pm »

Sorry, I just couldn't help throwing in the bacon remark. ::) ;D  But back to the beer bottle arrow heads, nice, keep em coming.  I was wondering about the straightness of the glass.  Most of the ones I come into contact with, have a curved bottom.
                                                    Wayne
These do have a slightly curved bottom, but I take a flake out of the tip and don't make them too long, and I get a good flat piece.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 11:36:05 pm »
TSS... I get what you're saying about getting cut but you have a lot more control with a pad or something...  When I started I used a pair of old welding gloves then as I got more confident I started using just a leather pad... You could build one of those contraptions in the TBB III with the copper pipe or get some "no cut" (Kevlar) gloves that the police use.
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:20:47 am »
TSS... I get what you're saying about getting cut but you have a lot more control with a pad or something...  When I started I used a pair of old welding gloves then as I got more confident I started using just a leather pad... You could build one of those contraptions in the TBB III with the copper pipe or get some "no cut" (Kevlar) gloves that the police use.
Based on kelvar rope, broken glass, and chainsaws, I am going to say I don't trust any fiber for preventing cuts.
I do trust leather though, I use a small piece as a cutting pad.
But I totally agree with you about leather pad. Time will help me. I need to take a vid of my knapping so you guys realize how I am doing this.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Tower

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 08:01:45 pm »
I remember when my points looked like those. Keep it up & they will only get better.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline papoints

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »
I totally agree with Tower.  Just keep wailing on it.  If you are still using the file tang for indirect I thought of a suggestion for you to control your flaking a little better. If you rounded the tang I bet it would work better.  If it was me doing it I know those square corners would end up making a whole bunch of broken pieces.  :)