Author Topic: Some more beginning flaking  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Some more beginning flaking
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:14:31 pm »
My next 2 points- one is actually a knife blade, the other a little point. Both smaller than the first point I posted.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Mike_H

Re: Some more beginning flaking
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »
Not bad.  I still recommend you take a look at "From Beer Bottle to Arrowhead".  The link that I posted on the other thread and in the video description.  It seriously helps a lot.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:41:46 am »
Not bad.  I still recommend you take a look at "From Beer Bottle to Arrowhead".  The link that I posted on the other thread and in the video description.  It seriously helps a lot.
agian, I did look at that. My next points(to be posted tommorow) will be following that tutorial. I like to make blades, arrowheads, etc. Just not triangluar side-notch. I prefer the form of the first point I posted.
Thanks!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 02:02:30 am »
I don't see any pics
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:15 am »
agian, I did look at that. My next points(to be posted tommorow) will be following that tutorial. I like to make blades, arrowheads, etc. Just not triangluar side-notch. I prefer the form of the first point I posted.
Thanks!

The techniques are used for all of what you mentioned.  It's basic knapping tutorial, not a step-by-step point type replication,  I've done corner and side notched as well as short knife blades using those methods.  It shows you how to get flakes to travel across the point.  Don't get too frustrated if you don't get them thin your first few times, that comes with experience.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:02 am »
You're well on your way.  Looks like you've got the knack.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:34:26 am »
I can sorta thin now, I just have to put the thing on its side, put a piece of leather under it(thick leather, more than 1/4th thick) and push sorta in-down on it to break a flake off. Its hard to control, sometimes I wind up breaking it.

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »
Something that helped me was that after I turned the edge (the stage you're at) ... I would abrade the platform and push straight in and try to "pry" a flake off instead of trying to "snap" it off.  Keep both hands lined up and use you legs to build up pressure.  I hope that makes sense.  For the more advanced knappers on here that may seem very obvious, but it was something that even though I read about it, I had to experience it to know how it felt.  I still struggle with thinning but every once in awhile I get one that ain't too bad ;)
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:57:26 pm »
Something that helped me was that after I turned the edge (the stage you're at) ... I would abrade the platform and push straight in and try to "pry" a flake off instead of trying to "snap" it off.  Keep both hands lined up and use you legs to build up pressure.  I hope that makes sense.  For the more advanced knappers on here that may seem very obvious, but it was something that even though I read about it, I had to experience it to know how it felt.  I still struggle with thinning but every once in awhile I get one that ain't too bad ;)
Yea, that makes sense. I prefer to knap in a semi-hard surface(usually a board of redwood or ceder, duct-taped to the deck railing) so I don't drive flakes into my hand(i don't have a hand-pad thingee). If I try to pry flakes off I generally wind up with a broken off flake.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:01 pm »

Great!  Now get some beer, for material of course, and make some more, and when you get a blade, haft it, and then test it out, by slicing a nice batch of thick cut bacon slices...... ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)  What type of bottle (brand) did you use?

Wayne

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:52 pm »

Great!  Now get some beer, for material of course, and make some more, and when you get a blade, haft it, and then test it out, by slicing a nice batch of thick cut bacon slices...... ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)  What type of bottle (brand) did you use?

Wayne
I dunno. I will ask my neighbor(he provides me with bottles)
2 issues with what you said- 1. I can't drink alcohol. 2. I don't like bacon.
Its a short, fat bottle. neighbor said his reason for not using the bottle was it doesn't hold enough beer(he makes his own beer and wine)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »

*jaw drops* Blasphemy!   :P

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »

*jaw drops* Blasphemy!   :P
Dude, I am too young to drink.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:53 pm »
I mean the bacon part.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »

Sorry, I just couldn't help throwing in the bacon remark. ::) ;D  But back to the beer bottle arrow heads, nice, keep em coming.  I was wondering about the straightness of the glass.  Most of the ones I come into contact with, have a curved bottom.
                                                    Wayne