Author Topic: homemade finishes  (Read 1946 times)

Offline kid bow

homemade finishes
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
well first off im sorry I haven't been on a lot bee n getting into shape with my dad. hes trying to get me into shape for army basic training so I spend like 3-4 hours in the gym every other day. so I found just a little bit of time and went with my mom to the lowes near our house and I found a good board to make a bow out of. its about 45-50 pound though its more closer to 45 due to me sanding it. so i put a white cloth backing on it so i can draw and put artwork on it. i nicknamed it "grandpa Joe" after my grandpa. Anyway I wanted to know if anybody knew of an good home-made finishes. i have some beeswax but not much else. i have johnsons pastewax if that would work i just need to know how many coats to put on it and how often... it feels good to be back. hope everyone is  doing good.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline BowSlayer

Re: homemade finishes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »
Bow sounds cool.  I have used cooking oil on projects before but im not sure how it works on bows but on some woods it really brings out the grain.  Good luck.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:52 pm »
Go find a pine tree, take some of the little sticky stuff, when you have about a cup of it, set it in the sun to dry, crush it into powder, then mix with rubbing alcohol or turpentine or paint thinner. Mineral spirits work great too. Let it sit overnight in a SEALED GLASS jar, then strain through a old t-shirt. dip a rag in it, rub it onto bow. 4-5 coats minimum. Its easy, cheap, and great.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline kid bow

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:19:53 pm »
thanks guys ill have to try these. ill check back to see if someone else has some better ones.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 02:01:44 am »
I've heard of people using vegatable oil as a protectant to wood but I hear it takes a lot of maintainance using that . You have to keep putting oil on constantly once a week or somethin like that I don't know much about it or how well it works
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:04 am »
I have a yew bow I sealed with just hand rubbed bear grease. I've  greased it only a few times over the years but it still seems to be holding up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:55 am »
Beeswax is pretty simple - do about 10 coats and it builds up a gorgeous rich finish.  I tend to rub it on as a stick to start with, then go over with a heavy cloth to build up enough heat friction to soften it.

The other option I suppose would be to make your own Danish Oil - even thirds of boiled linseed oil, some form of turps or spirit and beeswax.  Pretty traditional and primitive (other than the turps...) but it goes on like regular oil and brings out the colouration and grain, yet dries hard with a tough skin.  Again, numerous coats over many weeks brings out the best result.  If I'm using Danish Oil (and I always do on yew bows) I finish with either beeswax polish or pure beeswax.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:07:01 pm »
I've heard of people using vegatable oil as a protectant to wood but I hear it takes a lot of maintainance using that . You have to keep putting oil on constantly once a week or somethin like that I don't know much about it or how well it works

I wouldn't use anything like that if it is not a hardening oil, as I would think it could mold easily, which is of course not good for the bow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »
My favorite is half deer fat and half beeswax.  I melt it and rub it on with a cloth.  I usuaaly do this once a year and it's worked weel for me.  It also smells great.