Author Topic: Increasing weight  (Read 1373 times)

Offline david w.

Increasing weight
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:32:24 am »
So this community has helped me immensely in my short bowyery life and I wanted to pay it forward by helping my friend build his first bow.  There's only one problem it has come in waaaay too light.  I feel kinda bad because he was following all my direction.  I know I can shorten it up to increase the weight.  Is there any other options?  It's pulling about 18 at 30"  I'd like to hit 35
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:37:47 am by david w. »
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Newindian

Re: Increasing weight
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:48:57 am »
No way you can add that much weight unless you could glue on more wood or cut off alot of length. There is plenty more wood in the world best make another.
I like free stuff.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:50:51 am »
We would need more info about the bow, wood type, length, width, design, profile, etc. But in my opinion he should just start a new bow, I'm sure that sounds disappointing at first but I think he'd be more satisfied with that option in the long run.

Edit: Oh, I agree with Newindian. I thought you wanted to go from 30# to 35#. 18# to 35# isn't going to happen unless the bow was grossly over built to start with.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:56:13 am »
I'd say make another also. He know more now so his next one will be better.
Knowing more about the bow, like Weylin suggested, would really help us help you.
There are ways of adding weight to a bow but that is in "Bow Building 105". You and your buddy are still in "Bow Building 101". Sorry!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:04:31 am »
Thanks guys, it's probably my first bow in 3-4 years.  I got so caught up with school I went on a hiatus.  When getting stuff out of my basement for a fishing trip he saw my stuff and asked me to help him build one.  I almost forgot how to do it.  I think I could shorten it up about 4".  I had him overbuild it because it would be his first one.  We made it from a 6'  red oak board so its about 70" ntn. 

Edit-You guys are right about restarting.  We will try to salvage a few more pounds from it, but ultimately I think we are going to build a new one. 
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 03:28:30 am »
Chasing draw weight is oftem (IMO) a fools errand or at best it's the law of diminishing returns.
Even the 10# you claw back by heat treating can fade away to 5# by the time youve fixed the problems which caused it to be light inthe first place >:(.
By all means treat it as an experimental bow to try new techniques and idea... but if you want to get to that higher weight, just start again.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.