Author Topic: It's all your fault Pat B.  (Read 3924 times)

Offline JonW

It's all your fault Pat B.
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »
After seeing the post of Pat B's little recurve I started getting an urge. Then Clint goes and puts one up before I've even laid down my sinew! I have to look at another one when Eric posts his   :'( Well now I'm just gonna do it. Sinew will be put down this weekend. I have the bow low braced and pulling 50# @ 20". I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: It's all your fault Pat B.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:48:21 pm »
Reverse brace that sucker into 7-8" of reflex Jon! Oh yah!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:08 pm »
I accept all the blame!  8)   Looking good so far, Jon. You'll have plenty of time to rest after the sinew is down.  ;D
Do as Pearlie suggests!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
I was thinking about 4-5 inches Chris. Pat there is time to rest when I'm dead ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:16:00 pm »
You chicken Jon..:)! Either way, its will be a sweety.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »
On my sinew back static the tips were 4 1/2" beyond the handle. I reverse strung it another few  inches and two days after the last layer was added it increased by another 3/4". I'm curious to see how much more will be added in the next 2 months.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:06:32 pm »
Pat I have sinewed several bows. Some I reflexed before sinew, some I let the sinew pull the reflex. I know I'm gonna get some nay-sayers but I don't think sinew alone will pull the bow past an inch or so of reflex. I  think  the highly reflexed sinewed N.A. bows we see are reflexed heavily before sinew. I am far from an expert in sinew backed bows so that is just what I think.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:05 pm »
Jon, I've only built 4 or 5 so I no expert either.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:12 pm »
Jon, you are cranking them out!!!!
 Can you tell me how wide the bow is at the fades. I'm seasoning a few staves and thinking I'd like to try one similar. I've got gobs of back sinew left over from last season and would like to use some on at least a couple of bows.
 And if you're in need of more sinew let me know. I'm thinking after trading quite a bit that I still have a couple pounds.
 I've been watching your posts and now you've got me looking for black locust ;D and thinking about recurves.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »
Looking good Jon.  Those short sinewed osage bows are fun to make and shoot.  Can't wait to see it finished.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 07:56:32 pm »
Fred the bow is 1 1/4" at the fades. We all know that Osage is amazing, but lay some sinew on it and and you got Magic!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:51:13 pm »
"It's all your fault Pat B."

According to Mrs. Brennan that is absolutely flawless logic, an utterly unassailable position!

Pat has been the unintentional and intentional enabler to many of us bowmakers. 

She's looking pretty fast already Jon.  Good luck with her!  It don't take no Gypsy lady with a crystal ball to see red arrows in her future!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58:17 pm »
Yeah that ones gonna zip an arrow. Looks like a winning formula Jon.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13:40 am »
Pat I have sinewed several bows. Some I reflexed before sinew, some I let the sinew pull the reflex. I know I'm gonna get some nay-sayers but I don't think sinew alone will pull the bow past an inch or so of reflex. I  think  the highly reflexed sinewed N.A. bows we see are reflexed heavily before sinew. I am far from an expert in sinew backed bows so that is just what I think.

I agree Jon. Very little if any reflex has been pulled into my bows as a result of sinew. My reflex comes pre-sinewing as well.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 11:29:05 am »
Looks pretty good man. I can blame members on this sight for a lot of time consuming projects.  :)

What's your overall length and ideal draw weight/draw length with this one?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."