Author Topic: Cascara as a potential molly?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Cascara as a potential molly?
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
I have cascara coming out my ears and I'm ready to try my first molly after giving away a fifty pound character selfbow with a stiff handle. I've had this wood explode on me before, but I'm thinking/hoping that was because of poor tiller. Thoughts?
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

blackhawk

Re: Cascara as a potential molly?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
I'm sure you can if you have the "right" stave,and designed correctly...since it doesn't grow very big diameter you might have to make it longer to compensate the narrower high crowned limbs....jus depends on what ya got and what specs you want to achieve? Can ya give some more detailed info please,and possible stave candidates and pics of them?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:21:57 pm »
maybe decrown it?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline huisme

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:18:10 am »
Re: blackhawk
I get about five staves from a six foot section of tree, so about eighteen staves in all. I'm not sure where you are, but cascara grows way bigger than what you're describing. The stave I have in mind is practically flat, 1-1/2" at the thin end, 3" at the thick end. I'm pretty certain it's cascara; I've sold the bark to people buying cascara bark, and I made the mistake of eating the berries.

I was more worried that maybe the wood was too weak in compression or something.
50#@26"

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:37:18 am »
well,i am thinking you live on the west coast..i have only seen 2 bows made from it..i dont know if you can only use sap wood or heart or both...i think it has to be sinew back..BUT,I MIGHT BE WRONG...i would like to find out more about it because i have to some billets of it..thanks john

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:47:16 am »
I have alot of cascara in my stash and only 2 bows made from it. Seems to be good compression wood. The heartwood a little better than the sapwood. Sorry I don't no much about Molly's :/
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 01:21:37 am »
i googled photos of cascara bows..all the bows i seen didnt have sinew backing..SO,i am wrong..what the heck am i doing you didnt even ask about backing any way(what a meatball)..SORRY ABOUT THIS..i would still like to know what is the better wood...john

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:17:03 am »
Built a "molly" of sorts 10 yrs with the wood it's still on my wall. Cascara is excellent in compression, and I have seen stacked english longbows built from it as well, that's a compression wood to me. I also lumberize the wood for backed bows as well (laminates)  :) Dries well, and has a pleasing yellow to salmon flesh color (spawned fish of course) :laugh:

VMB

Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline huisme

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 04:17:22 am »
Yeah, it does seem to be better in compression than tension, but I haven't tried using anything other than the surface wood for backing. Like I said, I've made a 50# unbacked character bow, so I think slow tillering can spare the back, but I'll put something on there just in case.

And yes, I love the look of this wood. The sap drying red is a great effect.
50#@26"

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:41 pm »
I have five cascara bows on my bow rack now, and have given a few away. I love the stuff! It is so light that you'd never believe it could hold up, but it does. The color rivals any other wood that I have worked. The sap wood is almost butter yellow and the pink fades are beautiful. I have even built two character bows from it.
That being said, I have never built a molly from it, though I believe it can be done with a good clear stave.
Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24