Author Topic: bead work  (Read 4717 times)

Offline KHalverson

bead work
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:29 pm »
im looking to make a native american style knife sheath
does anyone here do bead work
im kinda lookin for some pointers
thanks a bunch
Kevin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bead work
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:22:24 pm »
BEADMAN!   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:37:32 pm »
Ok I'll bite.The best and easiest book to buy to go by is the the Book of Buckskinning I.Oran Scurlock Jr. publisher.That book back then was published by Rebel publishing Company but since then 7 more books of buckskinning have come out and the new publisher is Scurlock Publishing Company.Both companies are from Texarkana,Texas.It will show you the lazy sioux stitch and the applique method for curvy lines,and I think rosettes too.Back then the Ist book only cost $8.95.Hard telling what it costs now but the book also tells you a lot of different skills besides beading.Scrimshawing horn,patterns for authentic Indian outfits,moccasin patterns,and teepee set up.You might have to google the publisher to find the book.It's worth the money.Good luck
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:33 pm »
Forgot to mention in the back of that book 1 it'll give you names of other authentic teaching books to get about beadwork.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »
Oh to I can give you names of bead and needle suppliers if you want because there is quite a variety and colors of beads to choose from.Email me if you want.
BowEd
Ed

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »
beadman
thanks so much
i found vol 3 on the auction site very reasonable
Kevin

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:56:19 pm »
You bet.Alright you got a good one.Diane Chambers on beadworking.That one might be even better than the one I told you about.It shows you the cheyenne lazy stitch too which is a little faster I think to do.Hope you get it at a good price.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:38:57 pm »
My book by ben hunt has some stuff on indian beadwork. I can try to scan it for you. Its +50 years old... so it might not be too accurate.
Lazy stitch beading isn't too difficult, I messed around with it a bit. It just takes forever.
BTW Ben Hunt was an indian lore guy...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:01 pm »
Hey Kevin, not sure if you're a member of the Knife Dogs forum but if so shoot Randy Church (Church and Sons) a PM.  He's been doing a lot of bead work lately.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:49 pm »
SS....If it takes forever for ya then it's difficult for ya.Usually a person can average with the sioux lazy stitch at least 8 to 10 inches per hour[seed beads[no. 10 & 11 size] depending on the size of bead.Pony trader beads area a bit bigger so you cover more area faster,but seed beads I think look better.That's on brain tan.There are people out there that can flat lay the beads on fast.Just keep your lines straight and it'll look great.If you need to go slower to do a nice job so be it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »
Yea, I consider 10 inches an hour forever.
(I am an impatient teen. Think ;))
Ill get the pics uploaded.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:29:31 pm »
It does take some patience.  I spent several hours on this one.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »
Sorry to hijack.  If you take out making the buckskin, making the knife and sewing it all on a rawhide liner, this one didn't take too long.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »
Very nice job Madcrow.Here's some of my work.These projects did'nt take that long in my mind but a project or projects like a babys' cradle or a fully beaded vest looks long to me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 01:05:30 pm »
more
BowEd
Ed