Author Topic: my first bow has begun  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Sidewinder

my first bow has begun
« on: November 19, 2007, 06:56:29 pm »
Well, I started my first bow yesterday and already I have learned a lot. Not having anything other than hand tools and never having used any of them I am pleased thus far with all that I have learned. It is a hickory backed cherry flatbow. 62" hopefully will come in at 47# at 26". I have gotten it to the point where I have begun tillering and have it on the long string. It appears that when I was reducing the sides for the side taper, I started out using the draw knife and it looks as if I tore a little too deep on one edge so we shall see if she holds up. But if it doesn't thats OK because its all a learning curve anyway. I found I really like the spoke shave for the side taper, instead of the draw knife. It really worked well and I think I may use that for the belly taper next time as well. I will keep posting my progress until its done and hopefully I will have something to show by the end of the week.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Loki

Re: my first bow has begun
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:29:59 pm »
Your further ahead than me,i started my first one yesterday too but i wont be doing anymore untill the weekend.Mines a 70" long Hickory,2" fades at the widest going to 1/2" nocks,i figure long and fat makes less chance of me snapping the bugger! ;D.I've got a Bamboo backing for it but i havent decided if i want to put it on yet,i think it would be better as a selfbow.

Andy
Durham,England

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:38:44 pm »
Make sure you keep the belly flat or it will chrysal on you. Also thin the Hickory down and round it down to take some stress from the Cherry
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mitchman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:48:21 pm »
what do you mean by chrystal on ya. ???

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:29:59 pm »
Marc, I will do as you say. I have seen your work and trust your judgement. Is the idea that you  don't want the hickory to overpower the belly?
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God