Author Topic: My First (unsuccessful) Attempt at a Self Bow  (Read 4391 times)

Offline steven.nance

My First (unsuccessful) Attempt at a Self Bow
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:16 am »
This bow started as a tree in my front yard. I had trouble distinguishing between tree types (and still do, actually; part of the reason I'm here is to improve my woodsmanship). The only real criteria in choosing lay with it's diameter and straightness. Silly as it is, I basically just hoped the wood would be sufficient.

All the work was done with a tomahawk, a field knife, and a wood rasp. That includes chopping the tree and shaping. I definitely want to get some proper tools for the next one. I'm thinking a draw knife would be the most important one to buy; I'd love a bench with a vice, too. Any guidance in this regard would be awesome.

The bow broke while tillering. I never got to string it up. It looks like there was a bit of rotting in the belly, right where the limb snapped. To be honest, I don't think it would have made a difference as it was a pretty soft wood. Somebody told me it looked like poplar. I learned a lot and can't wait to get started on the next one, albeit with more understanding of my materials and better tools. Any suggestions or criticisms are totally welcome. Appreciated, in fact.

Offline Joec123able

Re: My First (unsuccessful) Attempt at a Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:19:27 am »
Looks a lot better then my first. On my first I didn't even know about the need to have one growth ring on the back I remember I just chopped straight threw the back lol mine exploded to haha But yours doesn't look to bad at all
I like osage

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:27:52 am »
Thanks, bud.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:31:08 am »
It does actually look quite good. On my first few, I dod not dare to make the outer limbs as thin as they should be. and I see this on your bow too. That way, there is a small bending area after the fades in the inner limb, and then they're stiff again. Add some rot to that small area that has to take all the bend, and a break may happen.

For the next one, get some wood from an identified brush or tree. There's a lot of usable woods. As far as tools are concerned, get a good rasp, that will nicely step in when you lay down the tomahawk and won't require a vice either. That should do.

Good luck.
Don't shoot!

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:50:11 am »
Great tips! Thanks, Jodocus. I can definitely see what you mean about the outer limbs. I didn't even realize.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:23:04 am »
Like Joducus said, it appears that most of your bending was in a short area just outside of the handle.  You want to get the entire limb to work, except for maybe the last 3-4 inches at the tips.  It does appear like it may be poplar which Ryoon will tell you, can make a bow.  Poplar does have that coloring which maybe you're thinking was wood rot.  Having broken straight across can indicate dry rot, however.  Hard to say from the pics.  Why was the tree cut?  Was it standing dead?  You want to start with a live tree, cut, split and let season for a year or so.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:32:31 am »
Your front profile taper looks good. Your belly profile taper does not. See how your tips are way too heavy? Next time, try to evenly taper both profiles.

Even tapers make even bends.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
The bow looks pretty short,am guessing 60" or so?maybe go a bit longer as they are more forgiving.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »
looks alot better than my first.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:39:02 pm »
It was a living tree; I cut it specifically for the bow. I didn't know anything about seasoning, though. I gave it about three days. I've still got half a log with the bark still on. I think I'll let it season and try again. Maybe by then I'll have developed enough skill to work with poplar.

The bow was too short, good call. I made some mistakes in the initial shaping process and had to cut it down shorter than I expected.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:01 pm »
Who cares what kind of wood it is...whatever it is it was junk...if it broke like that still being green wet wood and before you even got a string on it....that tells me its junk...even if your design was wrong and your a novice....learn how to identify trees and go cut some hickory or elm saplings to learn on and torture  as you have plenty of that around you....I wouldn't even think of wasting my time with the other half IMHO. N do some searching on how to properly dry them out to proper moisture content...don't bend wet wood PERIOD. <------ that's a big period if ya didn't notice ;)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »
Looks like you put a lot of work into the handle.I rough out the handle,tiller and shot it a bit before any extensive finishing work.might save you some frustration,just saying.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:04:32 pm »
I would say the most important tools for me, are:

- farriers rasp, you can get one at tractor supply co. for 40 dollars,
- cabinet scrapper + burnisher, and of course stuff to sharpen the scrapper after every bow,
- my mirror that I look at my bows while tillering,  ;D

I don't even use a draw knife. Instead to shape the bow roughly I use very sharp butcher knife, and then move to my farriers rasp. My farriers rasp is essential, I couldn't do jack without it.

EDIT: Also, looks a bit like hackberry to me, but I could be wrong.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
if that wood was only season 3 days I cannot imagine how it broke clean like that. I do not care what kind of wood it was, nothing should break like that except dead wood

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »
Good to know.