Author Topic: Arrow speed !  (Read 9336 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Arrow speed !
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:40:57 am »
I thought 5 grains per. pound was shooting knitting needles !!  :laugh: >:D :laugh:
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:18:05 pm »
Speed is important to me...and speed isnt important to me at the same time...lemme explain....I won't shoot a bow hunting or target shooting that's average or below average cast for its specs(basically anything below 150 fps with 10 gpp arrow)...that's because I am much more accurate with a bow that casts a much flatter arrow,and I get way better penetration...also if I build and design a bow that's well above the average I can make a 45 pound bow shoot like an average 55-60 pound bow,and we all know that a 45 pound bow in general is going to be the easier and more accurate bow to shoot for majority of folks....the chrono for me was just a tool for me to build more efficient bows...and I've tested and shot enough tbru a chrono that I can def tell a difference between a 130 fps bow and a 180 fps bow even at ten yards away and I have to disagree with pat about that...

Now I also dont care about speed to the point of just trying to make the fastest bow ever made on the planet...I've made quite a bit of pretty fast bows, but some of them I'm not super accurate with,and for me its all about balance and give n takes...the speed is only one of several things that need to come together all at once to be a great shooting bow...which is a bow that has nice early draw weight when you start pulling it,and then that draw has to be smooth all the way to anchor without the slightest hint of any stack(I hate stack with a passion),and I believe a stack less bow also helps in speed AND accuracy,then upon release the bow should be so quiet and smooth it shouldn't need silencers,and the arrow needs to come out of the bow with authority and a flat trajectory ...if a bow is excellent in all those mechanics it will be a lil easier to fight our human errors and tendencies in striving for accurate shooting...so speed is only one part of the BIG equation and not the means to an end,which is consistent accuracy...that's what a bow made and designed should strive for

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:40 pm »
Chris
Just because you can make a faster bow than some of us you don't have to flaunt it !  >:D :laugh: :laugh:

I have to find my heavy arrows every time I shoot that rocket launcher you made me !!   :laugh:
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:22 pm »
Wild Bill Hickok once said something to the effect that speed isn't important, accuracy is. That coming from a guy who stuck with a cap-n-ball Colt after the Peacemaker came out.

And .36 cal cap and ball when the .45 Long Colt came out!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:12 pm »
Speed is something I really don't care about. The guys who shoot compounds annoy the hell out of me because all they care about is speed And buying the newest bow that shoots 300 fps
I like osage

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 10:53:14 pm »
Two of the finest handguns ever in my opinion !
I would also chose the 36 cap and ball over the 45 colt ,but we all ready know I am a little bit different  !
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 01:33:55 pm »
Joe sorry I missed your reply !
Ask them Hi speed bows how fast do they think their bow would shoot your arrow!
Their answer will tell you how much they understand about speed !
Don't let the high speed fellows ahead of you ( keep them on their heels  )
I would hate to see ya destroy one of them high speed arrows with a slow and steady arrow !
Have fun !!
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dbb

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 02:22:08 pm »
I shoot both selfbows and carbon/fg bows(no whelies tho),and sure speed is nice up to a point.After that its just a number.
A heavy stable arrow is nicer to shoot and penetrate better imo.

If you want to mess with speeddemon compounders arrange a 3D trail competiton in lowlight conditions with shaded targets......
Its hillarious,sure some of those guys ar really good and have no trouble but the rest have a hell of a time even picking the target with all the lighted pins and lightrobbing sights  >:D
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 04:31:11 pm »
dbb
Glad to hear you are having fun with them !
My eyes may be a little to dim to play that game !
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:15 pm »
I like messing with my compound-shooting friends.
Its funny though, I think of their "bows" as guns shooting long, light projectiles. Actually one of my friends likes my cane longbow arrows better than the carbons he bought. I wonder why? They are heavier(by a lot), shoot slower, but do penetrate better..
I like compounds, but I like wooden bows a lot more.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »
I agree with Blackhawk, I try to get the best I can from the bows I build, I want them smooth, fast and accurate, tho I've never tried to build the fastest bow on the planet, also don't own a chrono and would rather use the $$ on what I need to build bows and hunt instead of trying to prove how fast my bows shoot, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 01:03:20 pm »
TSS
Glad you enjoy the wooden bows more !

bubby
Sounds good to me !!

Keep up the good work !
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:44 pm »
  I like the SLOW DOWN PART no I enjoy the slowing down part. I think it comes naturally with age. You wake up one morning and you just can see whats really important in life. As soon as you realize whats writen below is the totally true and as soon as you come to terms the the speed of you bows you start enjoying shooting a whole lot more.
   I've lived by whats writen below for 22 years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »
Its all about cast, and cast is a function of mass and speed, and also the aerodynamic properties of the arrow. There is an optimum cast for every archery setup, and its not at the extreme max or min of mass or speed. Its somewhere in the middle. Focusing on hitting the cast sweet spot is more important than maximizing your speed. And of course none of it matters if you can't shoot for crap.

But adding speed without decreasing mass is a good thing as it will improve overall cast. But its only good until you start reaching the arrow's stiffness limits. Then you need to go to a heavier arrow, and that will drop your speed back down.

This is what is happening with compounds right now. For a while they were rapidly increasing the speed of them, but now they are reaching the safety limits of the arrows. They've hit a wall where in order to increase speed, they need to increase mass which in turn is lowering the speed and affecting the aerodynamics and penetration as well.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:12 pm »
... And of course none of it matters if you can't shoot for crap...
Hahha thats me!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"