Author Topic: Arrow speed !  (Read 9330 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Arrow speed !
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:20:44 pm »
I must have lost my mind to open this topic !
With so many younger folks taking an interest in what we do here I think we may need to address a few things about the topic I dislike the most "speed" !
Folks selling bows need a way to compare their equipment so standards to test by have been set forth , AMO has been around for years and is the most recognized by the older archers ! Today we have IBO , and in my skepticism I naturally wonder why we would come out   with a different standard to go by ! IBO does not seem to me to be practical , as an example the 5grains per pound of draw weight that they use for arrow speed is low enough to void many warranties on even the most modern of equipment !
For the sake of this forum I feel we should not use IBO standards when doing any kind of comparisons ,in fact many on here don't even like the AMO standard  of 9 grains per lbs,
At any rate , just to give you one example lets take a look at some numbers !
A bow with a IBO rating that figures out to 320 fps comes to 245 fps with AMO standards!
Many of the folks on here that want to do comparisons seem to like to use 10grains of arrow per pound of draw weight for our bows and that is fine with me !
Just remember that when we say a bow that flings arrows at or above 180 fps is a really good bow , that is not a comparison to any of the other standards, just what we like to use !
We like marching to the beat of different drums than the rest of the world !
For me personally I go even higher on the arrow weight and that slows the arrow speed even more so I have an arrow traveling over 160 fps it is going to fast in my twisted view !
Slow down and enjoy life !
Life on this earth is way to short to be in a hurry !!

I am sure most of you are saying what do I care , but maybe this will help some to get a better picture of what is going on with all the different numbers, and either be more confused or maybe not !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Arrow speed !
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »
I will gladly suffer crippling handshock, noisy limbs, bad set, poor tillering, and a rainbow arc at 10 yds to the target, rather than replace a handmade wooden bow with a modern machine.  Fortunately, I have received more than my share of great selfbows from folks on here that I don't need to shoot my own stuff!!!   ;D

There is a great quote pinned to the wall in the bowmaking sheds at Twin Oaks:
"At some point, technology becomes not just an aid, but instead a substitute for woodsmanship"  -Aldo Leopold

By the time someone finds this forum and signs up, to a greater or lesser degree, they have already turned their backs on gearhead mentality and worshipping at the false idol altar of the Gods of Arrow Speed. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:47:35 pm »
Well said JW
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 07:57:31 pm »
dude as long as it's fast enough to hit what i'm aiming at before it falls asleep i'm o.k. with it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »
Well, a .45ACP travels at a much slower speed than a 9mm, but no one can dispute the effectiveness of the .45ACP. It served my country well for 100 years.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 01:45:51 pm »
At ethical hunting distances no one can tell the difference between an arrow traveling at 130fps of 180fps if they can hit their target with that arrow. In the heat of the hunt you just can't tell. For target shooting it might make a big difference. I hunt some and I shoot 3D some. I use the same bow and arrows(55#@26"-550gr -650gr arrows) for both just so I will know what to expect when I'm ready to draw down on my animal quarry. If I can shoot well at a live animal I can surely shoot well at a foam one.
 I shot one of my bows throiugh a chrono one time and was so disappointed in the number I never did it again.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:32:15 am »
You folks know I am with you !
Just some of the younger ones ain't figured it out yet !
Guy
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:36:07 am »
Wild Bill Hickok once said something to the effect that speed isn't important, accuracy is. That coming from a guy who stuck with a cap-n-ball Colt after the Peacemaker came out.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 01:01:36 pm »
The trouble with shooting too light of arrows constantly just for the sake of speed is there is catastrophic results even with modern materials being used.ie a bow flying apart.Maybe not right away but in time it will.That extra energy has to go somewhere after release and it might as well go into the arrow.For me to try to make bows that will shoot a 11 to 12 grain per pound draw weight arrow at 10 grain per pound draw weight speed is my goal,and there is a difference in penetration.The good shooting bow has nothing to do with the accuracy.It is just the engine.Having the right arrow with the right comfortable draw weight is.As Pat B said at ethical hunting distances.Everyone will have their own their too.At 20 yards for me it is an ethical chance to shoot at a white tail.Now what if a moose is standing at 35 to 40 yards.Bigger animal,bigger vitals.I will take that chance,and I want that extra weight on my arrow to penetrate deeper.Is that not ethical?The 10 grains per pound of draw weight is still a very good and safe standard.A chronograph is just a tool and that's all for making more efficient bows.It should'nt be a selling point or chest beating display.As what one friend of mine said.If I want my arrow to go faster I'll just pull my bow back farther.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »
Beadman

I agree that too light of arrows do often effect a bows life , but never thought about heavy arrows may lengthen a bows life !
Must be why why most of my bows seem to have a life expectancy measured in eons rather than years !!  :laugh:  :laugh:  >:D !!
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 01:37:10 pm »
I did'nt exactly say that heavier arrows extend a bows life.The bow has to feel efficient in the hand.Seeing what a bow shoots a 10 grain per arrow at is a start and a standard.After a while you can feel in your hand whether a bow is efficient or not,without a chronograph.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:22:19 pm »
It's all good Ed !!
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »
Over 200? I don't want it.
I like heavy arrows. Easier to make, cheaper, more durable... plus they stick in targets better.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 06:55:25 pm »
dude as long as it's fast enough to hit what i'm aiming at before it falls asleep i'm o.k. with it

I find that my target is less likely to move if its sleeping. >:D
Steve Bennett

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:45 am »
Nice points by all.I like a fairly heavy arrow also,about 525 to 550 out of my 50 lb bows,seems to work well.As for the IBO standard,it's not because they think that is what you should shoot out of your bow but keeps folks from pushing the envelope to far. If they set no standard you would have folks shooting nitting needle out of 80lb bows.Strictly target shooters that use point of aim or sights,faster/flatter is better,not as much need to judge distance which is a very important part of 3 d shooting if you are using that style of shooting. Most selfbows folks are of a very different mind set especially the ones that mainly do it to hunt. I shoot quite a bit of 3 d also but am doing it for fun and to stay in shape to hunt,lots do it for a much different reason.JW I had forgot about that sign,I put that up several years ago,it about says it all for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good