Author Topic: Puppies in the oven  (Read 2973 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Puppies in the oven
« on: June 21, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
Schuy took our female Brittany Spaniel to the vet today.  It's confirmed, there are puppies in the oven.  woohoo!  This was our 3rd and final attempt to breed her.  She will be 8 in Sept.  So, she's getting on the older side to be a mom.  They are due July 11th plus or minus a few days.

I gotta get to work and build a whelping bed and a dog house.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Puppies in the oven
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:36:12 pm »
Few things in this world make me as happy as piling into a heaping helping of puppies down on the floor.  For those that insist money can't buy you love, they ain't never bought a dog or paid an adoption fee!  Free love isn't anything to scoff at either!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »
Congrats!  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the little ones.  By the way, the title of your post made me hungry for hush puppies.  I may have to hit Long John Silver's on the way home.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:28:19 pm »
Congrats grandpa Dave!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »
I always loved having a litter of puppies in the house!

Congrats and have fun!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:49:55 am »
Thanks guys. There's not much better in the world than puppy breath.

A little history:
We have Puddin's mother, Jasmine.  Pudding was delivered with the other 6 pups in my office, where we had a whelping bed set up.  Puddin's grandmother (at time of her birth) was the youngest dog to ever win a shoot-to-retrieve championship. Her grandfather was the winningest dog in shoot-to-retrieve history.  In her prime, I  would have put Puddin's mother, Jasmine, in the field with any dog in the country and she would not have embarrassed me. 

Puddin' is a good quail dog.  I have to admit, she's a "momma's dog".  Schuy has spoiled her since before her eye's were open.  And, I didn't work with her as much as I should have done.  But, still in her 7 seasons of hunting, there has been 100's of quail shot over her, probably nearing 1000 quail shot over her and a couple hundred drove for her to retrieve.

Last summer we tried to breed Puddin'. She wouldn't stand for the sire, too early.  I took her back 5 days later and it was too late.  Last fall (even though it meant she couldn't hunt that season), we tried again with a male of great bloodlines, but he was young and unproven as a sire.  She stayed with him for three days and no puppies.

This spring we took Puddin' to a proven male, a full brother of the first male, but older from a previous little.  She stayed with him for a week.

Given Puddin's age, we were not going to try to breed her again.  So yeah, we are excited about the possibility of PUPPIES.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:53:06 am »
Moontree puppies! Yippee!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 12:56:17 am »
Yeah, Tracy you met Puddin'. She was the hyper one, who wanted attention when you came in the house.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline 4dog

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:06:55 pm »
This thread did not go the direction promised, i was positive it had another, trajectory.?
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 12:53:15 am »
sorry 4dog.  It was my play on words of a "bun in the oven" referring to pregnancy, except this time it's PUPPIES.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline 4dog

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
I got the play on words thing,, was just commenting that here, someone will inevitably say , puppies taste good with boiled carrots....lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:23:12 pm »
I got the play on words thing,, was just commenting that here, someone will inevitably say , puppies taste good with boiled carrots....lol

Tipsila (Indian turnips) is more traditional than carrots.  Cattail root, too...but there is something sarcastic about serving cat and dog together. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:18 pm »

Tipsila (Indian turnips) is more traditional than carrots.  Cattail root, too...but there is something sarcastic about serving cat and dog together. 
Not if you stuff the dog with the cat
I like free stuff.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:34 am »
Lol,im gettin hungry. :o

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:07 am »
That would be similar to a turduckin-A duck stuffed inside a turkey.  Only this would be a purr-doggin.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw