Author Topic: Whistling arrows  (Read 3169 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Whistling arrows
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:55:13 am »
Anyone fool around with these whistling arrows?These are from 3 Rivers and kind of spendy if you ask me.They are a bit heavy too.I've seen home made ones out of ping pong balls etc. and are a bit louder.The ones from 3 Rivers are'nt all that loud but are fun shooting into bales of hay besides distance.
I guess they were used to notify armys to attack.Kind of cool.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

Re: Whistling arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:54:09 am »
Thanks Ed - I always wondered about those 3River heads. A Buddy of Mines arrows always whistle - not sure what He doe's when fletching, but Man are they NOISY - We give Him ALOT of crap for it  >:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:24 am »
James Parker(Robustus) made a cool whistling arrow that went into the Trophy Quiver for the IBO Trad Championships at Twin Oaks two years ago. I think it was carved from wood...the whistle that is!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:01:09 am »
The Mongols used whistling arrows to signal their units' position prior to an attack.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 02:15:05 am »
I think the Japanese did too. Seems to me I've seen some Japanese whistling arrowheads somewhere.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:47:45 am »
Howdy,  Whistling arrows are fun.  Just get an open pasture and let them fly!   I've got a friend who makes them from rifle casings.   I've made them from fishing bobbers.   The bobbers don't last long, but they can be very loud. 
I've seen youtube videos of Kyudo ( Japanese Archery) ceremonies that involve whistling arrows to start public events.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:26 am »
Oh, and shooting after sunset is truly cool, though a luminock or strapped on glow stick is a good idea. Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline warpath

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:38:06 pm »
I remember seeing those on that Alibaba site for $15 a dozen. Not sure if they are the same ones though.

G