Author Topic: ? for PNW'rs  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: ? for PNW'rs
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 01:14:23 am »
Looks like yew found yewself Josh.  I enjoyed meeting you today. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40559.0.html
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Weylin

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 02:32:56 am »
I remember the first time I went out by myself to hunt for bow wood in the Cascades. I got out of the car and walked into the forest and was instantly surrounded by what I thought was the greatest motherlode of tall, straight and giant yew trees. After a few minutes though I thought it must be too good to be true so I chopped into a downed tree and saw that there was no red heartwood and then I realized it was all hemlock. Felt pretty foolish and I was glad I was by myself. I'm sure you and I aren't the only eager bowyers who have made that mistake.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »
Yew and hemlock have similar needles, but the bark is a dead giveaway! Yew has red/maroon  bark and hemlock has basic grey bark. If you just look at the bark they can be identified easily, even from a distance.
Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24