Author Topic: ? for PNW'rs  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Josh B

? for PNW'rs
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:42:57 pm »
I just cut this thinking it was yew until I went to load it up and no heartwood.  :o >:(  so my questions are is this actually yew?  If so, have you seen this before?  If it isn't, what is it? And is it good for anything?  Or do I owe this tree an apology? :-\ :-[   thanks,  Josh

Offline nwbowyer

• Nic Koomen
Re: ? for PNW'rs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:59 pm »
Yeah you got yourself some Western Hemlock... I've done the exact same thing  :) :)

Never heard of anyone making a bow out of the stuff but your welcome to try. I just cut my first yew tree last weekend and I've got some real nice oceanspray drying... I've definitely caught the bowyers itch  :laugh:

You should look under powerlines for Oceanspray, I've found lots... and its nice that no one cares why your hauling out wood (you can always tell them its electric line maintenance  >:D >:D)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:08:47 pm »
Western hemlock! ¥$<%€*##$¥¥¥¥<$¥**<<%$#*!  I knew I botched when I looked at the end cut.  Thanks.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
Oops...oh well....I say season it out...decrown a flat back,rawhide back it and make a long (68"+)bend in the handle bow...I bet it works ;)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
Bummer, Doc!  Wished it woulda worked the other way for ya!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:52 pm »
Lol! What a brainfart!  I'll give it a try. Lord knows I've probably used worse wood for a bow.  I guess its a good thing that I'm stuck out here until Monday.  Maybe I can try again, but I believe I'll leave the flatlander yew alone this time. ::)  Josh

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:10:53 pm »
What Blackhawk said.............

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:29:29 pm »
somebody made a nice bow from poplar. I am sure it can be done with hemlock. but be careful, isn't hemlock poisonous or something?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:46 pm »
The poisonous hemlock is a medium size plant in the carrot family, looks rather frilly and like to grow in wet areas. There are at least two varieties of that plant that will kill you real quick-like, but hemlock the tree isn't poisonous, just not very good for bows!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:44:41 pm »
somebody made a nice bow from poplar. I am sure it can be done with hemlock. but be careful, isn't hemlock poisonous or something?

Funny you should mention that.  As I have recently found a reason to learn about hemlock, ive been doing a little research.  Poison hemlock is a weed that is not related to hemlock the tree.  Hemlock the tree has a lot of edible parts such as leaves and innerbark.  Thats good to know I guess.  Unfortunately with my luck and severe lack of forestry skills, about the time that I gathered a bunch of hemlock leaves and ate them I would then realize that i had mistakenly found a yew tree instead!  Wouldn't that suck!? :o. Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:51:02 pm »
I've heard of hemlock being used as arrow shafts ?? Could use it for that ..
I like osage

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 01:28:58 am »
Gun doc you would still be OK feeding on the Pacific Yew, needles and inner bark have medicinal value. Taxinol cancer fighter and has great immune support. The berries no buano I'm told their Poisson. Beyond all that no matter which tree they both taste like S*#t. Good luck with the search.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:41:17 am »
Bummer Josh,
I just came back from Kansas and realized most of my "osage" haul was mulberry. I can blame the craigslist guy that cut it for me on that one. He did pretty good for having no experience making bows and I sure aint gonna complain too much about mulberry  ;) I got a buddy on Bainbridge Isl in the sound who works for the parks dept. If you are gonna be near there I could give you his #. He told me a while ago he had a coupe yew trees to trim sometimes. Good luck man, Marco.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 01:45:41 am »
What do you mean "stuck out here" your in gods country my friend, land of many bow woods. It's a blessing ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:55:17 am »
I'll keep that option open Joe.  First I'm gonna try it as bow wood though.  I like experimenting anyway. 

B&R-advice well received!  Like a large portion of last ditch survival vittles. They are both catalogued in the category" you can live on it, but it tastes like $&[+" lol!

Thanks Marco,  I'll probably just cut me some vine maple and maybe some oceanspray and call it good until next trip.  I got a little yew at home already. 

Lemos-You are correct, this is some of the most beautiful country in the world (and I've seen alot of this world)  very poor choice of words indeed.  No offense intended.  Josh