Author Topic: Sinew attempt failed  (Read 2633 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Sinew attempt failed
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:10:07 pm »
 So my first sinew attempt failed. I had the knox gelatin jelling up way too fast and it got all over in clumps and was a big mess. I cleaned off the bow, but im not sure i will have enough sinew to try again. I don't really know why it failed but i assume it was partly due to not having the gelatin heating while i used it. that paired with the fact that i might have made it too thick and the sinew wasnt very fine.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Sinew attempt failed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »
The glue needs to stay warm.  You should be able to soak the used sinew in water and clean it up so you can reuse it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:46:12 pm »
What Clint said!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:46 pm »
Graham, there are alot of build-alongs and tutorials on backing with sinew I highly suggest finding one that has good illustrations that are easy to follow. And follow them to the letter. Then you should have no problems getting a good backing layed down:)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36617.45.html
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »
get a crock pot and make a double boiler I'm sure you can find pictures of someone doing that. you are able to control the heat very easily with that system and add water to the glue when needed. having the glue at the proper viscosity is the key in my opinion

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
Graham, there are alot of build-alongs and tutorials on backing with sinew I highly suggest finding one that has good illustrations that are easy to follow. And follow them to the letter. Then you should have no problems getting a good backing layed down:)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36617.45.html

"toot toot" -Bryce (pinecone)   >:D lol

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:27:26 pm »
Gordon, patB, pearly, and alot of others have then as well this one was the only one I had bookmarked and could easily copy and paste.

One of many :)

And I think you mean beep beep ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »
I use a hot plate with a pan of water on it.  I sit my glue bowl in the water and keep it on low.  For me, that has worked the best for keeping the glue the right temperature.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:45:09 pm »
I waiited here but noone mentioned you can get a candy thermometer[Wal Mart] to see exactly how warm it is.In a general way if you can't leave your fingers in there it's tooooo hot.If it's gelling slightly it's toooo cold.Keeping it at 110 to 115 degree fahrenhite is just right.That's with pre water soaked sinew too.The more you work with the stuff the better you will get.Presoak your glue granuals 1 hour before heating it too helps it dissolve quickly.Having the consistency of thin syrup.You'll get it.Keep trying.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »
I use an electric fry pan with a pyrex dish inside it that contains my hide glue.  I also use a candy thermometer to keep an eye on my temp. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:57 pm »
Hey Muffin, I am relatively new here and I am impressed with your skills as a bow maker. You can obviously tiller and design good bows that are real nice to look at too. I have sinewed 3 bows and the sinew part went pretty good for me but I don't think I am up to snuff on tillering or some other areas.
I would rather have your skills at tillering than at sinewing and I am sure you will get this nailed down and then be rockin out some awesome sinew backwed bows.
Keep going, Marco

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm sure that I can get it right I just did not have a good run. Ill set up a double boiler and use a thermometer to keep temp.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 11:44:56 pm »
Check out my "56"sinew backed osage static recurve" post. It has some info in it. You will see the crock pot I use. $5 at GoodWill. I fill it half full with water and float a stainless steel pan it it with the glue in it. If it gets too hot I will unplug it and it will stay hot enough for quite a while.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:21 am »
That's my routine exactly like Pats.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:33 am »
Cheap, simple and it works, Ed.  ;)