Author Topic: Seasoning and lay out [Mullberry]  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Seasoning and lay out [Mullberry]
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:39 am »
Never worked Mullberry,got a 1/4 log at the Classic,it was a huge tree the 1/4 split came from.I split it down and got 2 staves from the bark side and 2 from the first belly split and 1 final belly split.It was cut in Oct.12 Gave all the staves away except 2 sister belly splits.I work the down,to a clean ring and cut the down to almost bow size about a month ago,sealed and put in the cabin by the dehumidifier. Question is how long before you should work it,and a good lay out.I have been told to work it like Osage and in that case I know how to handle it,but it doesn't seem to be near as dence and sure not as heave as Osage. Just want some ideads from some that have worked with it,pros and cons on the wood before I start. :-\It has fairly large rings,probably at least 1/4 and is clean except for a couple of pins that won't be in the working section of the bow.Here are a few pictures of the sisters laid out. Advice appreciated. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

Re: Seasoning and lay out [Mullberry]
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:28 am »
Just do your pappy thang n make a 20% wider pappy osage flatbow with flipped tips ... ;)  how wide/long is it right now?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:24 am »
70 long 1 58/ to mid limb then tapered to 3/8 at the tips, probably a little wider
cause I cut it out passed the lines until it dries and I know I am going to shorten it to 62/64 :)l eft it a little wide and long and thick until I figured out what I wanted to do with it. Shooting for high 40's to low 50's in weight. Does it need to dry a year or so,at least for me like Osage ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:25 am »
Its not as oily and dense as osage is and doesn't take as long to lose its moisture and be seasoned...but I know your preferences for seasoned wood no matter what it is similar to mine in that it needs a year at the very minimum before I bend it,even if I did reduce it down to near bow dimensions....I'm sure its close to being "dry" enough now to make a bow moisture content wise,but maybe not totally "seasoned"....well..you know that debate ;)..... IMO even non osage bow wood is still better if left to season...hope I just didn't open a can of worms....n you know I'm just one mans opinion,and not the end all say all Mr know it all ;) ...up to you whether you make a bow with it now or later..both will work

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:30 am »
I hear ya,and we are right. ;) >:D >:D >:D I will put it away and work on it next spring,got plenty to deal with right now.That's what I was thinking anyway. :)Thanks for reinforcing it for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:18 am »
I wish there was some kind of studies with different types of wood and the differences(if any..but we know there is by experienced observation) between pieces of wood less than a month old that have been taken down to 8% mc by quick drying or kiln dried methods,and pieces of wood left to season naturally in a proper environment for varying years like one year,two years,etc.....and see if there really is a difference in hardness,wood cell structure,how much more shrinkage difference if any,and all the bending qualities such as tension,compression,elasticity etc....but do we really need to have a scientific controlled experiment and study to know seasoned wood is better ;) we already know the answer...sometimes experienced observation speaks louder than some fart smellers study ;)  :laugh:

And who am I to give you advice???  :laugh:

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
Your sittin in the catbirds seat Pappy with that piece.I wonder why there is excitement when a person gets a 10,15,20 year old stave that's been stored properly.If it's hedge it's harder than all get out.Why is it better to let dogwood arrow shafts season.I'd like to get ahold of an old old piece of wood sometime myself.
Fart smellers.... :laugh:Was'nt that a Cheech and Chong comedy act once?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:18 am »
Glad you brought this up Pappy.  I have a few sweet lookin' Mulberry staves I cut and split in December.  Been wondering the same thing.  I've used a moisture meter before and don't trust them at all.  Decent guide on moisture, but not much more IMO.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:00:34 am »
You make it back to Tennessee sometime Beadman and I will hook you up with a piece of old Sage. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:40 am »
Ok I'll bring something to trade.Don't know what yet but something you might not have down there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:54 am »
I think as far ad dry mine is OK now  SlimBoB,but as Chris and I were discussing I still and always will believe seasoned is better if cared for right. Yep a can of worms, ;) :) :)always get ask to prove that statement and I can't, just my thoughts. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:18 am »
I can't prove that older wood is better wood either.  I also can't explain how my Grandmother could "witch" with a peach switch and find water.  But she did and no one argued or asked for an explanation.  Everyone just drank the water.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline autologus

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:59 am »
I know this is off topic but I have "witched" water with 2 wire coat hangers to find water lines in the yard.  It works.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.