Author Topic: Need a tillering check. Maple Mollegabet.  (Read 9463 times)

Offline munkinstein

Need a tillering check. Maple Mollegabet.
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »
I've almost finished my second bow, just have to sand it, thin the tips, finish the nocks, and apply some spar.  I think there are some minor tillering issues though that I'd like to get fixed before I complete this bow.  Some info on the bow.  It is a hemp backed maple mollegabet style bow.  66 NtN with 2 inch wide working limbs that are 17 inches long.  The hand and upper fades are wrapped in hemp rope.  The bow is not twisting in the picture, it's just my ham-fistedness.  I have no idea of the draw weight, I have not checked it yet.  My other bow was a 52lb @ 28 red oak, this feels a little lighter, I'd guess it is between 40 and 45 lb.  I have supplied two pictures, with the bow flipped and at almost full draw.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need a tillering check. Maple Mollegabet.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »
Gotta get the mid limb moving much more.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:51 pm »
that and the outer limbs look stiff too.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »
Gotta get the mid limb moving much more.

Figured as much.  There actually is a slight twist as well, I was incorrect regarding my ham-fistedness.  I think it is caused by too much wood on one side of the upper limb.  At least that's what my calipers are telling me.  I will correct the tillering problem and post new pictures.  Thanks for your advice!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »
I agree with others, but I'd add it looks better in the second pic.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »
Your really close munkinstein.What PD said.A little more bend just down from your levers.Wide bows like that are a little more time consuming to make sure the thickness is the same on both edges.Good job on that maple.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:08 pm »
Your really close munkinstein.What PD said.A little more bend just down from your levers.Wide bows like that are a little more time consuming to make sure the thickness is the same on both edges.Good job on that maple.

Yea I think the twist is being caused by uneven distribution of wood.  If I correct it, will the twist go away, or will I have to use heat to work it out.  It doesn't seem that bad and it doesn't seem to be affecting the accuracy.  Here is a new picture after I took some wood off with a cabinet scraper.  It looks a little better, but I really don't want the weight of the bow dropping too much more.

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:14:51 pm »
Regarding the twist; I've noticed that when I turn the bow upside down the limb that was formerly twisting no longer twists and that was not twisting is.  Could this be due to improper technique?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »
Last pick, top limb too stiff mid limb.  Bottom also, but better.  Not sure about the twist.  Go for good tiller at this point and draw weight will be what ever it is.  Hate being in this situation, and I been there a bunch, but good tiller should be the goal.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:29 pm »
Last pick, top limb too stiff mid limb.  Bottom also, but better.  Not sure about the twist.  Go for good tiller at this point and draw weight will be what ever it is.  Hate being in this situation, and I been there a bunch, but good tiller should be the goal.

All right.  Will aim for good tiller above all else, besides I can always build more bows!  Thanks for your advice!

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:49 am »
Also for future reference.....never pull past a perceived flaw in your tiller regardless of where you are at in draw length and weight wise no matter what...so in essence you shouldn't be pulling it that far yet with the top limb hinging off the fade...the wood will crush more there than anywhere else because of uneven distribution and cause more set there than anywhere else,and could possibly cause frets...especially when you have a hinge at the fade area...hinges at that area tend to take a lot of set and string follow (robbing cast)with a high risk of frets or even eventual breakage down the road...IMHO that def needs fixed for that design

Offline Roy

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:11:51 am »
Like Blackhawk pointed out, there is a bad hinge in top limb.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:02 am »
For just your second bow you took on a more time consuming design.Maybe make a few more first of a simpler design to good tillering techniques,an eye for an even bend,and to get a feel what happens with wood removal etc.You'll have to face the fact that to adjust your limbs to bending evenly you will lose some draw weight.Bending evenly first while the bow is a little over weight not going over your designated full draw weight.Even removal of wood to keep em that way and creep up on your designated full draw weight.Don't feel bad everyone has at some time been where you are right now.I'll still say not bad for your second bow though.You might want to get a weight scale too.After correcting your limbs you could pike it to raise your draw weight if you like.You've got enough length.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 08:40:50 am »
Like Blackhawk pointed out, there is a bad hinge in top limb.

I see that.  I haven't been touching this area at all.  I guess I'll chalk this one down to inexperience and try again.

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:41:30 am »
Also for future reference.....never pull past a perceived flaw in your tiller regardless of where you are at in draw length and weight wise no matter what...so in essence you shouldn't be pulling it that far yet with the top limb hinging off the fade...the wood will crush more there than anywhere else because of uneven distribution and cause more set there than anywhere else,and could possibly cause frets...especially when you have a hinge at the fade area...hinges at that area tend to take a lot of set and string follow (robbing cast)with a high risk of frets or even eventual breakage down the road...IMHO that def needs fixed for that design

Thanks for your advice!