Author Topic: Odds of exploding arrows?  (Read 18233 times)

Offline hurlbri1

Odds of exploding arrows?
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:34 am »
So I think I got 19 out of 50 decent 5/16" birch dowels to make arrows from (ordered from Woodcrafters someone suggested on this site). I think that might be a little high in terms of percentage from what most of you seem to get from the lumber yard or online...what makes me more nervous is the picture I found of an arrow splintered in someone's hand!

Now I am totally freaked out and uncertain of my selection.  I don't care that the arrow breaks after hitting a tree--I've already trashed a set of Carbons (I am not that good at Archery just yet, ok?!  :-[  ) So if I break a few dowels, it's easier on the pocket book.

However, I am NOT OK with getting an exploding arrow in my bow hand because I can't choose the right grain!!! 

In short, I am freaked out now about making my own arrows.  The bow I am making them for is 43# Hickory flatbow.  Do I break the bank and order the pre-spined wood shafts from 3-Rivers?  Do I go with the bamboo garden stake idea in the buildalong posted here?

How scared do I need to be with an exploding arrow in the hand? 

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!
-Brian
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" -Ernest Rutherford

Offline paulsemp

Re: Odds of exploding arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:22 pm »
it's only a arrow in your hand,  just think of it as a really big splinter >:D  if you order shafts from a reputable company I would say the chances are slim to none
it's never happened to me and I've shot some questionable shafts

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »
over the years I've used several hundred 5/16 birch shafts including some not so straight. During the straightening....some would break. If they did not break during flexing and or straightening I have never had a single one break at the bow. Most all my bows are from middle 50#. They seemed to shoot very well from bows between high 30's to mid 50's.

Take it for what it's worth but I never had a single one break comin out of the bow.
rich

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »
While i have never had one explode on me, I do worry about that as well.  When orienting the grain on your shafts, if you place the runout (if your shaft has any)  on the top of the shaft so that it is pointing away from you as viewed from the nock end of the arrow - theoretically, if the shaft were to split along the run out, the sharp piece would go up and away from the shooters hand - and not result on the shard thru the webbing of the hand picture that we have all seen and cringe at.

I know there is a great pic / drawing  of this, but I cant seem to find it.  Hopefully someone else will post it for you if I cant find it. 

Russ   

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:33 pm »
+1 on what Russ said. Run out on the top side towards the point.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »
I saw a picture where a guy had and arrow through his wrist.

Test the shafts. Flex them and make sure there durable. If they pass then don't worry about it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:56:39 pm »
I've only had one arrow break when shot in about 30 years of shooting and it had a crack I didn't know about when I shot it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »
Yeah ,, but did it end up in your jand Pat ,, this is the 40.00$  question.   O:)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:21 pm »
Hit a POC shaft once on a tree, the tip end cracked and split for about 6"... but I shot it agian and it blew up on hitting the target.
shot a 1/4 ramin wood dowel, with fletches and the world's heaviest broadhead(it was a spear point I made, 3" wide, 2 oz) off of a #50 recurve... wore an arm guard for a good reason... it blew up literally.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline nick:uk

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:55 pm »
i had two 11/32 go on me at the last 3d i went to but i had not bind them

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:31 pm »
The garden stake buildalong will do it, I've never broken a boo arrow on a primitive or fiberglass bow and I'm pretty rough on them, they are also more durable than the cedar from 3-ra (as much as I love the stuff).
Are you using self nocks?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:39:35 am by Youngboyer2(billyf) »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:51 pm »

Straighten, then flex a bit, if nothing cracks, or fails, and the grain is oriented well, with no run off, or with the run off in a safe set up, then go for it.  Besides, we need a new photo, of the exploded arrow through the hand. ;D ;D ::)  Or just go with cane. ;)  But if it fails, we want photos...... ::) :P ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 09:59:50 pm »
I think of that as well. However I have shot some questionable shafts and been okay. I do check them closely if I hit one with another while target shooting (doesn't happen that often) or if I miss the target and hit a rock (happens more often than I like to admit).

Greg

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:35:40 pm »
Most trad and primitive bows don't have the speed or power to break arrows in that way, so you don't need to worry hardly at all about that unless you are shooting in the warbow weight class.

But the modern compounds do, so don't go putting your arrows through one of them.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »
What Half eye and Youngbower said.  I have shot lots of ash dowels out of primitive bows and out of modern fiberglass bows, I have never had one that survived straightening blow up.  If you are really worried about it, there are several threads on how to make a spine tester, so you can spine your arrows and find out if they are underspined.