Author Topic: question on specs  (Read 1346 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

question on specs
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:14 am »
For 55# @ 29"  how long would i need to go. Hickory board and it is requested to be a recurve. Ive never made a bow with long of a draw. I know its only two inches longer than my draw but something about it makes me weary

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Re: question on specs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:25:39 am »
as a general rule, double the draw length in bending limb length. if you're going to add recurves and/or a static handle, add on a few inches to that. there are exceptions to the rule, but if you've never done this before, i wouldn't try too much at a time, especially since it seems from your post that it is going to be for someone else.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:17 am »
I actually feel more comfortable tillering recurves for some reason. They usually come out better.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:29:15 am »
Are you making a true recurve or just flipping the tips,if just flipping the tips 66-68
tip to tip should be fine.Like was said a lot of folk do them a lot shorter but to be on the safe side I usually double the draw plus add the no bending area on a stiff handle bow. That will depend on you handle length and fads.my no bend is usually about 7 inches,4 in. handle and 1 1/2 fads.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good