Author Topic: Tree I.D. please.  (Read 2768 times)

Offline MartinHeZ

Tree I.D. please.
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:29:54 pm »
Hey guys was hoping someone might be able to ID this tree for me? Only reason I'm asking is that there's 3-4 of them near my house that I have permission to cut down and use, they are at least 20' and don't have any branches or visible damage/knots in the first 10-12' and they are around 5" in diameter, so I'm thinking they would be great to get my hands on if they are worth using. Have a couple pictures of leaves/branch, if one of the actual tree itself would help (really think it would but didn't have my camera with me at the time) then I can get one up soon no problem.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. If this is in a bad place, throw it where it belongs please, seemed most appropriate here.

P.P.S Might be worth mentioning that I'm in north east England.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:00:41 pm by MartinHeZ »

Offline Joec123able

Re: Tree I.D. please.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
Looks like a cottonwood leaf not 100% on that
I like osage

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:18:45 pm »
I think it's a Lombardy Poplar (a cultivar commonly used for landscaping)., not good bow wood, soft and fast growing..  No doubt it's in the populus genus, which includes cottonwood and aspens, softwood fast growing...

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:14 pm »
Well I guess I'll just leave them be then, unless they need cutting down then they will become firewood I suppose  :P

Offline Roy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:02:58 am »
That is a Mongolian Tulip Tree. Awesome bow wood, very high in tension and compression.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:00 am »
Yep
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 08:38:49 am »
That is a Mongolian Tulip Tree. Awesome bow wood, very high in tension and compression.

I've looked at some pictures of tulip trees and through identification guides and I don't think its all that similar any reference you could show me please roy?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:38 am »

I've  never come across the stuff or tried it, but I've heard you can find it in central Michigan. Josh

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »
A couple more pictures, or the bark and of the tree itself, hope it can help get a more positive I.D.

Also for anyone who missed it in the first post.

NORTH EAST ENGLAND

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:40 pm »
Lombardy x2
Hickorys what I Know best

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 02:40:20 pm »
Hmmm??? Guess you've never heard of "american sarcasm" before.... ::) 

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »
Hmmm??? Guess you've never heard of "american sarcasm" before.... ::)

you lost me, what do you mean?

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 03:25:24 pm »
There's no such thing as a Mongolian tulip tree....but it doesn't matter cus those ain't bow wood

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
What kind of nonsense are you talking about? Can you please quit being funny with your inside joke "mongolian tulip" that you used on Tradgang as well? It's not funny and only adds confusion to a beginner that now wants to make a bow from poplar.

MartinHez, that tree is some sort of poplar (Populus).  Probably Black Poplar (cottonwood) Populus nigra 'Italica'. It has very weak and soft wood. It is NOT worth the effort in bows. It is very, very low on my list of possible bow woods... You might use it for arrow shafts, but I would also not recommend it, based on the presence of many better alternatives.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »
Thanks DarkSoul appreciate the input :) I'll keep looking then, already got my hands on a couple of pieces of ash, which will do, but I was hoping to put a couple into storage a month for a few months, so I have the being dried in a staggered manner, so still on the look out for stuff.