Author Topic: Check this out  (Read 4646 times)

Offline adb

Re: Check this out
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23:29 am »
Amazing that it can bend nearly 90 degrees without breaking. What does it look like when you let it go?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:41 am »
Here are a couple photos I took of a hackberry longbow I screwed up. I think it might of been 60# or 70# @ 28" I think, but I am not super sure.

Hackberry is extremely strong in tension, and it is my belief that this plays a good part in why it is generally accepted to be the most steam bendable wood. The fibers are very strong and hold together very well. I had a hackberry warbow I screwed up a couple years ago, and I was trying to break it, and it wouldn't break for nothing. I was jumping off my porch onto the tip, and it was "pogo stick"-ing me back up on my porch! It also grows extremely straight most of the time, and with almost zero knots. If I had a way to mill me up some, I think it would be excellent for backings. It would be so easy to get perfect straight grain. It is also almost always pure white to the pith 99% of the time, so all the backings would come out nice and creamy white, where as with hickory you got all that brownish heart wood.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Marks

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 12:18:49 pm »
I keep meaning to go cut me some hackberry but I just haven't yet. I have osage and crepe myrtle drying in the garage. I need to go ahead and get some hack in there. We have that stuff coming out our ears on the farm. Every fence row is full of it and its all thru the woods too. Like you said, seems to grow good and straight.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:26:34 pm »
Is hackberry approximatly as good as hickory?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »

I think hickory would be pretty hard to beat, but I don't know. My instinct says it might be "close". But hick is super strong in tension. (except the garbage dry rotted stuff I bought a month or so ago,  >:().

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:07 pm »

I think hickory would be pretty hard to beat, but I don't know. My instinct says it might be "close". But hick is super strong in tension. (except the garbage dry rotted stuff I bought a month or so ago,  >:().
Maybe the garbage you bought was actually pecan...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 02:10:37 pm »
Amazing that it can bend nearly 90 degrees without breaking. What does it look like when you let it go?

It looks like its suffered major compression damage but the elastic strenth of hack berry just amazes me I need to get my hands on some hickory and compare the two
I like osage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:19 pm »

I think it was just bad quality for some reason, dry rotted or something. And from what I hear, pecan is great wood too.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »

Hackberry is extremely strong in tension, and it is my belief that this plays a good part in why it is generally accepted to be the most steam bendable wood. The fibers are very strong and hold together very well. I had a hackberry warbow I screwed up a couple years ago, and I was trying to break it, and it wouldn't break for nothing. I was jumping off my porch onto the tip, and it was "pogo stick"-ing me back up on my porch! It also grows extremely straight most of the time, and with almost zero knots. If I had a way to mill me up some, I think it would be excellent for backings. It would be so easy to get perfect straight grain. It is also almost always pure white to the pith 99% of the time, so all the backings would come out nice and creamy white, where as with hickory you got all that brownish heart wood.

Yea I think hackberry would be amazing backing material
I like osage

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:26 pm »
I just got meself some ash and elm... Intend to make a nice bow...
Seasoned elm is not nearly as strong in tension as hickory... but man, its good. a thin heartwood locust piece is practically unbeatable in my book. Bend it 90, 100, 200 degrees... at 250 or so it cracks.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 09:39:12 pm »
I just got meself some ash and elm... Intend to make a nice bow...
Seasoned elm is not nearly as strong in tension as hickory... but man, its good. a thin heartwood locust piece is practically unbeatable in my book. Bend it 90, 100, 200 degrees... at 250 or so it cracks.

I made one honey locust bow shot it alot took a few carp with it and one day while I was stringing it it popped a splinter on the back still have the bow been standing in a corner for a while with a piece of rawhide I was intending to fix it with but I don't think it's even worth fixing
I like osage

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:27 pm »

Pecan is hickory. Hickory is a genus better known as carya, and pecan is Carya illinoinensis. There are nearly a dozen of species of hickory, like pecan, shagbark, pignut etc each with their own latin species name. But its all hickory. 

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:01 pm »
It's all fun till someone gets hurt. >:D  Be careful of flying pointy splinters when torturing wood like that, doesn't look like the safest way to test the resiliency of bow wood. Just saying we don't want any of our fellow bow makers disabled. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 10:07:06 pm »
It's all fun till someone gets hurt. >:D  Be careful of flying pointy splinters when torturing wood like that, doesn't look like the safest way to test the resiliency of bow wood. Just saying we don't want any of our fellow bow makers disabled. :)

Lol nope we don't want that but this is safer then putting a string on it and drawing it back till it breaks
I like osage

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »
Joe, not if your pulling the string on a tillering tree with a rope from 15' away. ;D ;D ;D 
Be careful bro. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.