Author Topic: Debitage points  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Debitage points
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »
I'm used to taking a rock an making the biggest point I can out of it. I have a ton of debitage that I pick out the bigger stuff but an awful lot seems to get dumped. Today went thru my tarp and made these three out of the scrap from some bigger points. I'm trying to change up my knapping an make some small stuff, also trying to pay alittle more attention to details like flake scars an symmetry, I guess I'm trying to get better but my addiction is real deep :o 8). Besides it's raining again. Thanks for lookin, Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Debitage points
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:25 pm »
Those are great Bob! I went through that stage awhile back and ain't it nice to know you can turn that debitage pile into hundreds of beautiful points instead of it being trash.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:30:46 pm »
I'm doing the same thing right now, cranking out hunting points for all of the trades I did at the Classic. And those are some great looking points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:00:15 pm »
Real nice work Bob! Billy's article in the current issue addresses making cahokias from debitage.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!   Don't dump those flakes!!!!!!  I make a lot of really small bird points, so don't throw your flakes away.  Seriously, if you would put them in a flat rate box instead of in the trash, I'd gladly pay shipping to have them sent to me.  PM me about it next time before you decide to throw away those flakes!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
Those are some good looking points Bob.That's what I've been doing this week.I use my debitage for landscape so I don't get rid of much but dust.My wife don't have the the same outlook on all the rock in the yard but hey it's paid for and I don't have as much to mow ,win win.
Venice Florida

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:55:44 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »
most of the points I make are debitage points.  I am working on my percussion and making larger pieces. but to fulfill the needs of the gift shop I do make a lot of small points.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:04 pm »
Those are nice points.

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »
I don't know how I missed this one. Those are perfect hunting points. I make some of my best points out of debitage.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:35:56 pm »
Awesome points!  Is there a way to make them out of dust?  I am very good turning good rock into dust  :laugh:
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
That's about what all my points are, debitage points. I start wit a big chunch and end up with lots of smaller ones.  Went to the pit on the IU campus today and my buddy had a guy give him a bucket of flakes, he kept the bigger ones and I came home w/ the rest.  Some are really nice.  I've really ben working on my percussion lately, platforms are everything. GREAT points Bob, those are hunters, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline papoints

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:24:04 pm »
Nice looking points. I like the horizontal line on the light colored one.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:24 pm »
Great points, love that corner notch
Knapper :)
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:09 pm »
Nice!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!