Author Topic: need inspiration for a kids bow.  (Read 9187 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: need inspiration for a kids bow.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:42 pm »
I'll give you some advice on a kids bow.  Let someone else make it.  If your bows are prone to breaking, don't put them in the hands of kids.  You could seriously hurt them or make them afraid of shooting a bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 04:28:07 am »
I'll give you some advice on a kids bow.  Let someone else make it.  If your bows are prone to breaking, don't put them in the hands of kids.  You could seriously hurt them or make them afraid of shooting a bow.

Ok maybe not wood but how about a little PVC bow I can make them and there durable and can be taken to extraordinary draw lengths.  Ive made a PVC longbow before. Would this be a better idea?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline dwardo

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 05:47:52 am »
I found out that making kids bows takes some prior thought if you are used to only making adult bows.
I found it hard enough to make a 30lb bow let alone something around the 20 mark. My biggest mistake was laying out a bow far too heavy in the first place rather than something with dimensions to suit the end product.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 10:47:11 am »
Bowslayer, I have a suggestion for you for a kids bow- WAAYYYYYYY overbuild it AND back it with linen, rawhide, or other cloth. That way it will hold together until it is strained insanely overmuch.
Anyway... bowslayer, I am not happy you ruined the rep of anyone with "squirrel" in their name.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:27 am »
What Blackhawk just said should be ringing some bells of familiarity in your head.  It is pretty much the same thing that I told you last year in a PM about your Christmas tree bow story.  I hope to Hell you listen to Chris on this since you obviously didn't take what I told you serious.  None of us likes being jerks, but we aren't doing you any favors but just letting you keep on with piss poor behavior.  This is like a big family here and as such, expect to be treated like family.  This includes behavior corrections and admonishments when the occasion is necessary.  People have been defending you all along and some quite recently.  How do you suppose they're feeling right about now?  Straighten up kid, things will be a lot better for you.  Josh

I also want to add that none of us are immune from reproach.  Several of us just got set straight last week  when we were exhibiting poor behavior.  And rightfully so I might add! ;)
As for me I feel quite Stupid right now! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:20 am »
So what do you think about the idea of a PVC bow. Thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

Anyway... bowslayer, I am not happy you ruined the rep of anyone with "squirrel" in their name.

Any damage to your rep was done by you Slinger.  After the posting of a pic of juniper while talking smack about how dumb slayer was for not properly I'ding yew, I would think that you would have learned not to run your mouth when he screws up!

Ed- no reason too.  Your heart was in the right place.  Nothing wrong with that.  Josh
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:05:28 am by jackcrafty »

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:17 pm »
Thanks Gun Doc, I will stick to nothing but bows / arrows and the likes from now on.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »
Ed you will have a "list" soon enough. We all learn who is who and go from there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline AH

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »
So what do you think about the idea of a PVC bow. Thanks
I say go for it. They're easy to make and hard to break, I made tons of them before I got my first board bow made.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »

Any damage to your rep was done by you Slinger.  After the posting of a pic of juniper while talking smack about how dumb slayer was for not properly I'ding yew, I would think that you would have learned not to run your suck when he screws up!

Ed- no reason too.  Your heart was in the right place.  Nothing wrong with that.  Josh
I said it was a picture of a CONIFER, NOT YEW. I POSTED IT TO SHOW THE NEEDLES.
Anyway, all I did was google "yew+bark+needles+conifer" and picked an image that illustrated needles and fiberous bark well. I didn't check to see that it was yew.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:01:09 pm by Thesquirrelslinger »
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Roy

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 03:23:13 pm »

Yupper it is:)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »

I said it was a picture of a CONIFER, NOT YEW. I POSTED IT TO SHOW THE NEEDLES.
Anyway, all I did was google "yew+bark+needles+conifer" and picked an image that illustrated needles and fiberous bark well. I didn't check to see that it was yew.

It's your story, go ahead and tell it how you want. ::)  josh

Offline autologus

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »
SAVE THE MAJESTIC SQUIRREL

SUPPORT THE UNITED SQUIRREL RELIEF FUND

Millions of Squirrels have had their reputations damaged by this grave injustice, because of this tragedy thousands of squirrels don't know where their next meal will come from and many have turned to drinking to cope with the embarrassment.

For about a dollar a day you can give these squirrels a chance to escape the hunger and shame that have been created by this unfortunate web of lies.

Won't you sponsor a squirrel today and help bring these majestic creatures back to the glory they once enjoyed before this tragic incident?
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline keef

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »
I Come on here as a novice to learn from the more experienced bowmakers. I usually visit  every couple of days and have a good read through as I enjoy 99% of the posts..They are almost always informative, and inspire me to give thoughts to design , future projects etc...

I've contributed in the past, but have not for a while due to issues beyond my control that will resolve themselves soon .

This business With false identities and the squirrel twins or whatever seems to drag on, and  is a train wreck in my opinion.

It would be as well for the admin to deal with this now, as although it may be a little light entertainment for  the good members ( I chuckled myself at the start) It could start to take over and spoil things....I know that sounds a bit alarmist, but new posts seem to be popping up all the time

If you think I'm full of hot air then I'm sorry, But I like this place and have learned a lot from it..I've also seen other forums tumble and Go to the dogs..

All the best

Keith