Author Topic: Lack of selfbows at Michigan shoots.....lets change that.  (Read 4593 times)

Offline YewArcher

I am seeing less and less self-bows and primitive bows at Michigan shoots! I was at the Land-O-Lakes Michigan Longbows association shoot last month and saw one selfbow...that's right just one. I think that needs to change. There is a great shoot June 22-23 in Grayling Michagn put on by the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters. This is a great course, awesome grounds and just a good ol time.

I am going to take my gear and set up and make bows all weekend. I think the Michigan primitive/selfbow crowd should make a big showing.

Who is with me?

Steve

Here is link to shoot.

http://www.michigantraditionalbow.com/jamboree.shtml

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Lack of selfbows at Michigan shoots.....lets change that.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:21 pm »
I'd go, but I'm about a 20 hour drive from there... so its probably not gonna happen.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »
I'll chip in for some gas money  ;D

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »
just my oppinion but im seeing the opposite.
could be that im just startin to notice the primitive equipment.
only been at the primitive stuff for about a year.
but am a loooong time trad bow shooter.
Kevin

owlbait

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:42 pm »
Grayling is a nice shoot to share with other selfbow shooters. One of the gurus was there last year shooting and helping a couple of newbies on their bows. (Thanks again Pearlie) ;D

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:19 pm »
Chris (Pearl Drums) will be at Grayling and is a wealth of info and a willing teacher.  He straighten my first self bow out in 5 minutes.  Matt Wirwicki will be at the GLLI and Elm Hall set up to sell and teach. But I think you are right.  I haven't seen as many as I would like at the shoots BUT if you want to see self bows in use, go to the Tennessee Classic next year.  there was a large group of us from Michigan there this year.  I never seen so much osage in one spot and it was being sold at a good price. One shoot that you will see almost all self bows in use is Marshall.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:48:22 am »
I'd be amazed if I ever saw another primitive shooter
I like free stuff.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:34:59 am »
Grayling is a tough one NOT to bring and shoot a Grayling made Bear bow!  I wish attendence would go up as this is an awesome event.

Steve, I'll bring my self bow and hopefully a bow to work on.....think we can put together a group to shoot the 2d course saturday? I'll have my wife and boys in tow but expect them to have enough shooting in by mid afternoon   >:D

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:29 am »
Steve the best way to see more selfbows is to make more and give them away. Im thinking Im around the 150 bow mark now. I have 6-8 of my own racked and the rest are all precious gifts and bow swaps. Somewhere out there are about 142 bows with my name on them. Spread the wealth my friend!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:13:20 am »
I will be at Elmhall,with several more from TN.shooting selfbows,ElmHall always have several selfbows folks, more than most places I go,JEB you are right about the Classic,we had 78 in the selfbow class and 59 in the selfbow challenge,almost 1/4 of the 400 + shooters were selfbows,pretty cool I thought. :) Like Peral said give them away or get them making them and the numbers will grow. :) :) 
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:40:23 pm »
Yes BalckCoyote, lets try and get a group round in on the course. That would be cool.

Pearl, I hear you and have done much the same.

Pappy, We have been thinking of attending Elmhall. Not sure yet if we can make it but we tenatvley have it on our calander.

Steve

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:39:40 pm »
There are a power full lot of shoots in MI. !
I have not and will not be to all of them but the ones I have there are selfbows at !
I am not having a problem finding a like minded person to hang out with !!
Or for that matter folks that want to learn !
I think that by the time you youngens have put another 25 or more years into this sport there well may be more selfbows at the shoots than other kinds of bows , or maybe I just dream big !!
Sad to think about not being here to see all you folks will accomplish  , but so excited to think about it !!!
25 years ago folks did not want a crazy fellow with a selfbow to show up at there shoot , that thing would get someone hurt ! or those things are just kids toys !
So glad the mentality has changed and folks can enjoy a honest sport !
Keep pushing

Sorry I have to miss so much fun this year, have family to be with and we are burning up a big portion of my check in gas each week to help them out but it is worth every dime to Me !
Maybe things will let up for next year  !
See ya Then !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:32:27 pm »
you guys are lucky, heck around here you may be the only selfbow in the county
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »
I haven't been to Grayling in quite some time.  Like JEB said, I will be at Elm Hall, GLLI and also the Barryton shoot this year.  Compton's this weekend.  I'll see what I can do about Grayling.  Might have to rearrange the schedule, if not only to shoot maybe.

Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:49:14 am »
Matt - I wouldn't mind hitting Grayling for a R&R Fun Shoot. Always liked that place !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.