Author Topic: Bamboo?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Catnapper

Bamboo?
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:25:48 pm »
Hey everyone its been a while since I have been on here and even longer since I've built a bow. I did however come across a thick ringed Osage stave but it is only about 58" long. My question is if I back this bow with bamboo can I get away with a stiff handled bow drawing 50#@26". Or even possibly make it a self bow? I can get about 1.5" of limb width out of the stave. I wanted to stay away from rawhide or sinew because the weather here can be pretty nasty and change dramatically overnight. ( the bow will get wet while hunting).  I have never done a bamboo backing but really like the looks of it. ..... So lets hear what you would do with this stave! Thanks for any help!  Keith
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Joec123able

Re: Bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »
I think you could get a self bow from it if you wanted to With a stiff handle
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:12:51 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:58:21 pm »
You can make a self bow out of dat piece of orange gold.
Multiply your draw length by 2, with a BENDY handle bow that gives the minimum bow length.
I made a mini elm bow, 36" NTN, drawing 20". It took some set, probably because it was a self bow and because of the recurves... about 1.5" of set. Not much... but for a 36" bow... I also have a linen backed crossbow prod I made from my first red oak longbow(it blew up, was way to round in handle). Its short, but it draws half its length with virtually no additional set(from the original bow).

26x2= 52". Make it 55" to be safe.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »
Multiply your draw length by 2, with a BENDY handle bow that gives the minimum bow length.
I made a mini elm bow, 36" NTN, drawing 20". It took some set, probably because it was a self bow and because of the recurves... about 1.5" of set. Not much... but for a 36" bow... I also have a linen backed crossbow prod I made from my first red oak longbow(it blew up, was way to round in handle). Its short, but it draws half its length with virtually no additional set(from the original bow).

" it took some set, probably because it was a self bow "

Ugh what ?????!!!!!!! Since when does being a self bow have anything to do with taking set ??
I like osage

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:16:57 pm »
Ok thanks guys... I think I'll try to tiller out a self bow from it! Gonna make a plain Jane no frills meat getter if it all works out! Maybe some tip overlays though  ;)
Gillette, Wyoming

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

" it took some set, probably because it was a self bow "

Ugh what ?????!!!!!!! Since when does being a self bow have anything to do with taking set ??

Dude, it was a super short RECURVED UNBACKED bow.
Hence it was going to take SOME set. SINEW BACKING it would reverse that.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
It was very short and I drew it MORE than half its length. Plus, it was quite narrow- about an inch, and it drew nearly 50 pounds. It was origionally intended to be a crossbow prod.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:09 pm »
It was very short and I drew it MORE than half its length. Plus, it was quite narrow- about an inch, and it drew nearly 50 pounds. It was origionally intended to be a crossbow prod.

Yep because I belive you made a 36 inch bow drawing 20 inchs I would love to see that
Its elm. I will take pics TONIGHT when I get home.
Also I would say "bow" is loose definition.
It looks sort of like a bow without a string. (thats how much set it took)

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 05:07:28 pm »
I'd like to see some pics of ANYTHING you two have built

catnapper go to the how to page, halfeye has a how to on tillering short bows, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DavidV

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »
^agree^
Springfield, MO

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »

catnapper go to the how to page, halfeye has a how to on tillering short bows, bub

I'm sorry what? I'll post a pic of one of my bows right now if that's what you want
I like osage

Offline autologus

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »
Joe I believe bubby was talking about the squirrely guy.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 07:41:22 pm »
Ok thanks bubby ill check it out!
Gillette, Wyoming

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40271.0.html
I will also upload pic of my red oak crossbow.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 04:47:27 pm »
I believe I would go bendy handle on it, unless the draw were pretty short.