Author Topic: steps to sinew backing  (Read 4037 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
steps to sinew backing
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:58:04 pm »
I've just finished backing a red oak board bow. its a static recurve. I just slathered the sinew on. I didnt wrap it because I 1: didnt know where to wrap it, and 2: still had to fine tune the tillering now that it was sinewed so I read the sinewing section of the TBB Vol.1 I mentions that really really should put a layer of hide glue on the wood first "sizing layer" Well I didn't do this. Will this dramaticly affect the binding to the wood.

knapp 'um if you got 'um

Trapper

Re: steps to sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 12:27:59 am »
Yes , as a matter of fact its one of the most important things to do, and you have too keep it all strait ,and flat, the sinew I mean. But sizing is very important, I found that out the hard way.         Trapper

tpoof

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 12:56:32 am »
sinewed a redoak board bow  ::)
static recurve ... thats a coup..
no wrapping required
possibly no sizing required..
time will tell
its fun though,,eh?? ;D

Offline akila

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:27:27 pm »
I have also make a sinew backed bow 2 mounth a go, and i just finish it a fiew wecks a go and i have to say that i did not put  that "sizing layer" on the wood first and i see that its ok. I did something els do...i put a full coat of hide glue after each layer of sinew aplyed.Whenn i finish puting the sinew on the wood, i put another coat of hide glue on the hall bow.I let the sinew  cure for 4 days and thenn i aplye another layer,and so on.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:43:55 pm »
................Like Trapper said. I dont think it really matters that ya put coats of hide glue on after ya didnt size with glue. Kinna like addin' links ta a chain thathas a weak link before, no sense.................bob

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 06:10:52 pm »
Thanks Akila I also put a glazing layer of glue after The sinew is laid down, and then I lick the glue after its dried so that it smooths it out. Some people has their favorite dog do it; but i wouldnt trust a dog with a bow i works so hard on.

tpoof it is really fun, thanks for responding. hehehe " a coup"

Kowechobe thats a very good analogy and I will have to remember it for the next bow that I make.

Thats for your response trapper its all really good feedback for me. Thats why I like it here so much. You only get possitive constructive feedback.
knapp 'um if you got 'um