Author Topic: a few questions  (Read 4107 times)

Offline mitchman

a few questions
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:29:28 pm »
i have a couple question for you who have made bows before. what does it mean to chase a ring?

and what does it mean to remove a propeller?

what do tip overlays do?

and i looked in the new mag today and saw a bow thats tiller made the lower limb bend alot more than the top. whats up with that?

Eric Garza

Re: a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »
I'll take a crack at your questions.

-what does it mean to chase a ring?

"Chasing a ring" means drawing or scraping wood off the bow's back so that the entire back is made up of a single growth ring.  In other words, you choose a growth ring and do not violate it (cut through it) over the bow's entire back.  (Back, for clarity, is the side of the bow that faces away from you when you draw the bow).

-and what does it mean to remove a propeller?

"Removing a propeller" refers to removing twist in the stave, usually with heat.  If a stave dries to fast or unevenly it can twist, and if this is more than 5-10 degrees most people usually heat the affected section of the stave and remove the twist by twisting in the opposite direction.  If the wood cools while being counter-twisted, the twist usually goes away (after a fair amount of trial and error).

-what do tip overlays do?

Tip overlays can do a few things.  First, if you have a shorter bow they can help to prevent the string from sliding off the limb tips when the short bow is drawn longer than 1/2 its length.  In essence, they reduce effective string angle a little.  Tip overlays can also strengthen the tips when you use very thin tips.  Finally, tip overlays look nice (or can, if you do them right).  I suspect this latter reason drives most people to use tip overlays.

-and i looked in the new mag today and saw a bow thats tiller made the lower limb bend alot more than the top. whats up with that?

Not a clue.  Someone had an idea, and gave it a try...

Best,

-Eric

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:07 pm »

and i looked in the new mag today and saw a bow thats tiller made the lower limb bend alot more than the top. whats up with that?

There are many reasons why the lower limb could be bending farther or appearing to bend farther.  Some bows don't have limbs the same length on top and bottom, some have reflex in one limb and not the other, and some guys just like it that way.  ;D There are other reasons too, but those are probably the most common.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tpoof

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:15:51 am »
Huh!!!
 I always thought to 'chase a ring' was to go after married women!! don't go there...
remove a propeller... old school.. these days airplanes have jets enines I'm told! yuk , yuk   :-[

Oh TIP overlays,, I was thinkin silicone or some primitive boob enhancer stuff they used bavk then....
maybe aloe vera jell or sumptin.... ;D
yeesh.... lol

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 06:28:24 pm »

Also, sometimes the angle of a drawn bow can make the tiller look different than it actually is if the bow is canted in the pic. A lot of people tiller the bottom limb a little stronger than the top limb (positive tiller) because it tends to be stressed more and get weaker over time.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.