Author Topic: Fletching Glue  (Read 7030 times)

Offline bow101

Fletching Glue
« on: June 08, 2013, 08:10:47 pm »
Is there any good cheap glue for fletching..?  Have been using that STUpid "Super Glue Gel".!  It takes forever to set up I find. If you dab a little on the feather that is not glued down the tiny glob takes forever to dry.  A  5 minute dry time window is all I need................. >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fletching Glue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »
I used to use Duco cement but it is hard to find. It would stick to almost anything. Now I use fletch tape for "modern" arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:08:32 pm »
For what it's worth, the Ace Hardware near my house carries Duck cement, but I haven't come across it anywhere else but online.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 01:56:52 am »
Duco is the only thing that works for me. Luckily, they sell it where I work!  :)
I tried the Bohning cement and lost fletching with the first shot.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:45:34 am »
Duco for Me too. Here in Mid-Michigan, Harbor Freight/Hobby Lobby and the Mom & Pop Hardware stores carry it. 3 Rivers has it also - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
I used Duco for years back in the 90s with great success on Spar Urethane finishes. When I got back into archery a couple years ago, I started using the super glue gel with mixed results. Lately it has been bullet-proof since I switched over to the polycrylic finish on my arrows as far as fletchings staying on good and secure. I have a multi-fletcher so dry time is not as big an issue. Usually by the time I get the 6th arrow done, the first is dry and ready to start the next fletch. I have been doing mainly water based stained arrows dipped a couple times in the polycrylic cut 50/50 with water, however, I am about to get back into crown dipping and cresting. Not sure where that is going to lead me. I have been waiting for Carson (CMB) to do an arrow build a long after that sweet batch he posted recently. Well???? ???
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:23 pm »
Dollar General stores sell Duco cheap. About $1.50 a tube. Ace hardware has it as well but more expensive. Still cheaper than 3R.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:04:19 pm »
I'll have to look around for the Duco..  ;)  Super Glue driving me banana's.. >:D >:D >:D  had a fletch come off. Here in Canada paying like $10.00 a tube for Super Glue and lucky to get 6-7 arrows done. That is 3 fletches per arrow.  Getting dam expensive.............
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:38:08 am »
Fletch tape is cheap and easy.  ;)  ....or tied on Eastern Woodland style two fletch.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:21:00 pm »
I use Loc-Tite super glue gel.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 11:53:33 am »
I  use "Super T" from Lee Valley (basically crazy glue).  They sell 1 or 2 oz bottles for $8 or $13, it's gap filling, and sets up in less than a minute.  Also use their "Special T" glue, which is a thicker, "ultra" gap filling, to put a dab of glue at the front of the quills so they're not so stabby  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 11:56:31 am »
None better than Saunders NPV on any surface with any sealer. I don't lose feathers ever.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:30:40 am »
I remember you posting about that NPV, before, PD, so I picked some up from one of the vendors at the Classic. I haven't tried it out, yet, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »
LocTite Super glue for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »
I ben using the gel super glue also. Either loctite or the gel made by gorilla glue. When I first used it I had exactly the same opinion as you, then I tried something different....not the glue but the way I applied it. If you are using a jig, put the feather in the clamp and when you apply the superglue do it in tiny little dots like periods and spaced apart from @ other. When ya stick that down it's down. I give mine about 1-2 minuets (dont really know why) and on to the next one. This method takes so little bit of the glue that mine will last at least 3 to 4 dozen arrows with no problem at all/

That's just my experience so for what it's worth. I have had no trouble with my hardwood, softwood, and cane arrows. It even stuck good to the shafts I use the pitch and grease mix on.
rich