Author Topic: Tillering to remove twist  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Bloodhound

Tillering to remove twist
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:17:22 pm »
So I have am working on a hickory stave and did not get the most even wood removal on the belly due to following a tricky grain pattern and dealing with a few knots. As a result the bow has some twist when bent. I just wanted to confirm that I want to remove wood from the outside of the twist correct. To clarify if the tip was a C I would want to remove from ->C  that side?

Thanks for your help

Offline aaron

Re: Tillering to remove twist
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:16 pm »
you could probably leave the twist. Are the sides of the bow equal thickness in that area? trying to correct the twist could leave a hinge. What draw weight are you at and what are you shooting for?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »
I usually only need to do this for very narrow longbows with rounded bellies. Yes you are correct about which side to scrape from. If it is only one limb with the twist, remember to do the same amount of scraping on the other limb. You can do it on the belly, or 1/2 off each side of the straight limb.

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:52:40 pm »
It is a shortish narrow d bow. I have a ways to go with weight, shooting for about 45# I actually have not strung it yet, just pulled it with the stringer but it feels as if both sides will twist out to the left.

The limbs bend evenly but are not especially even in the cross section, I was removing a lot of knots along one side and had a crack that I wanted to get cut out. For now I can focus on evening the cross section, but I am not sure that will be enough.

Would the use of side nocks help at all.

If this does not work I do have a fresh pile of hickory staves, although its too bad they wont be dry for awhile.

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:57:42 pm »
Also as you can see one limb has some curve, I took some of it out with heat but may need to do another round.

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:51 pm »
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:59:38 am »
That's not too bad. I would work it until its ready for a full brace, check any string alignment or twist. Then I would give it some more heat bending if necessary. Side tillering probably won't be an issue if its a flat bellied bow.
                                                Hamish.

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:36 pm »
Thanks guys, that link was real helpful. I ended up lucky enough not to need it though, worked it down enough to brace and it straightened right up. Finished sanding today and finished with a few coats of mink oil. I have not had it all the way to what I think its full draw will be but its flinging arrows nicely at about 25 inches.

Will post finished pics once my wife gets home to take one with it drawn.