Author Topic: The nerve of some people (Warning: rant)  (Read 17155 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: The nerve of some people (Warning: rant)
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:37 pm »
HaHa! You all now know how I feel when teaching evolution to 8th graders >:D

Teaching doesn't pay nearly enough but I love it!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 05:12:44 pm »
HaHa! You all now know how I feel when teaching evolution to 8th graders >:D

Teaching doesn't pay nearly enough but I love it!

Tracy

Glad to see one school allowing it taught!  :D

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:25 pm »
There are people on youtube that purposely say things to get other people worked up.  They're called trolls and they're best ignored.  There are even smart trolls that are very good at what they do.  You could waste hours arguing with people online and it won't do a lick of good. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
They might as well teach it. Most high school science courses are geared for preparing students for university, and they don't tiptoe around the issue like public schools do. I started out in a Bachelor of Sciences seven years ago, and the first day of Biology 1001 the prof was very clear that he was not going to discuss the validity of evolution, nor was he going to make curriculum exceptions for anyone. If you answered that evolution was an invalid concept on a test, you got zero. He said it was an accepted scientific principle, and until such time as it is disproved we were required to learn it.

I believe that actual evolution has been observed in several species. I kind of remember one study done on domesticated foxes. Within a few generations several characteristics had changed to better serve their needs as domestic animals. The most notable change was a significant reduction in the length of the snout. I also believe its been observed in species of insects, especially those with quick reproductive cycles. And I know that bacteria is capable of adapting to new conditions exceptionally well, not just by changing the way it behaves, but by altering its DNA i.e evolution.   

I guess I didn't realize that this was even still an issue. I thought that it was mostly accepted by just about everyone. But then, Canada is a more secular society than the States, and I know most of you guys are rocking the stars and stripes.

I don't see how anyone can look at what dog breeders can do and then say that evolution doesn't exist. Its kind of a proof of concept if you ask me. If a person can take an animal and turn it into everything that dogs have been become, then I imagine natural selection can do the same.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:58:28 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32:10 pm »
They might as well teach it. Most high school science courses are geared for preparing students for university, and they don't tiptoe around the issue like public schools do. I started out in a Bachelor of Sciences seven years ago, and the first day of Biology 1001 the prof was very clear that he was not going to discuss the validity of evolution, nor was he going to make curriculum exceptions for anyone. If you answered that evolution was an invalid concept on a test, you got zero. He said it was an accepted scientific principle, and until such time as it is disproved we were required to learn it.

I believe that actual evolution has been observed in several species. I kind of remember one study done on domesticated foxes. Within a few generations several characteristics had changed to better serve their needs as domestic animals. The most notable change was a significant reduction in the length of the snout. I also believe its been observed in species of insects, especially those with quick reproductive cycles. And I know that bacteria is capable of adapting to new conditions exceptionally well, not just by changing the way it behaves, but by altering its DNA i.e evolution.   

I guess I didn't realize that this was even still an issue. I thought that it was mostly accepted by just about everyone. But then, Canada is a more secular society than the States, and I know most of you guys are rocking the stars and stripes.

I don't see how anyone can look at what dog breeders can do and then say that evolution doesn't exist. Its kind of a proof of concept if you ask me. If a person can take an animal and turn it into everything that dogs have been become, then I imagine natural selection can do the same.

If memory serves it was Russians that conducted the fox experiment.  Another side effect was the coats showed much more variation in markings and colors as well.

I think for the sake of everyone's sanity we should drop this and even possibly delete this thread.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:56 pm »
might not be a terrible idea
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:39 pm »
There are people on youtube that purposely say things to get other people worked up.  They're called trolls and they're best ignored.  There are even smart trolls that are very good at what they do.  You could waste hours arguing with people online and it won't do a lick of good. 

Heck, this is four pages already. ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 12:50:51 am »
Hmmmm...  Should I?   ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 01:27:41 am »
That would be rather anti-climactic.  It's just getting good!   ;)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 02:35:36 am »
Jackcrafty wins the Golden LavaLamp Award for the best 70s reference! The Gong Show! I love it!!
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:10 am »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 06:01:05 am »
Glad to see it's stayed civil. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:53 am »
Glad to see it's stayed civil. ;) :) :)
   Pappy

In my time, I've found that it is useless to get angry and uncivil when it comes to these things.

Mullet, it's only three pages at the moment, not four.  :P

Offline WillS

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 09:46:22 am »
It's only two pages if you change your settings to allow for more posts per page.  Just saying.

8)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 12:10:28 pm »
It's only two pages if you change your settings to allow for more posts per page.  Just saying.

8)

That's what I was thinkin.  ;D dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)