Author Topic: Cause of failure Osage bow?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline mrfixitwhite

Cause of failure Osage bow?
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:50:44 am »
Hi all
Im hopeing to get a few opinions on the bow failure in the pictures.
It's a bow I tillered for a friend and while it did shoot for a couple of sessions -went bang :(
If I could post pics and let people see before I fill in any details
My question will be stave fault or tillering fault.
hopefully the pictures explain themselves.
Thanks
Graham

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Cause of failure Osage bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 06:57:58 am »
Grain run off  :o  Looks like a straight bow cut out of a snakey stave.  Was the stave hand split or sawn out of the log?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mrfixitwhite

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:04:59 am »
It was supplied to me shaped for final tiller!-width as in the pictures but in 'Hulk' draw weight thickness! hence the pieces sawn from the belly side.
Im gonna have to guess sawed to shape and then power sanded to rough bow dimensions.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:08:44 am »
That stave has severe grain run off! The break follows the grain precisely. The first picture is as clear as can be. Someone really violated the grain (bandsaw?) when the width layout for that stave was established.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 07:10:47 am »
I highlighted the grain.  The red lines are the grain in your bow.  They curve off the side of the bow.  The green lines are more like what the grain should be.  I would guess it was a sawn stave or a straight layout on a snakey stave.  Always follow the grain lines.  Hope this helps.  Good luck on the next one.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:52:57 am »
Agree with all the above entirely, but your handle fades appear to be part of the culprit.  Looks to me you are to thin right at the break.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mrfixitwhite

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:26:26 am »
I've just had a quick measure and the limb thickness at the break is at least  3/4" thick.
Would that be considered too thin?

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:42:28 am »
I think I would request my money back or a replacement stave, that thing has severe grain runoff.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:46:45 am »
It's only a whisker thicker than the widest part of the limb and appears to be half again as narrow.  It was bending in the fades and that is where the grain run out starts.  Broke right there along the grain.  If it wasn't bending in the fades, it was highly stressed there.  That's what I'm seeing from the pictures.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:57:10 am »
It did exactly what It was supposed to do when grain is not followed and run off so badly. Where did u get stave? Looks like a bandsaw cutter just shaped with zero regard for grain.

Offline mrfixitwhite

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:11:33 am »
It was bought off of eBay. Not out to place blame by naming the seller but they have stated tillered wrong as cause of failure.
Just trying to get some opinions as to whether it would have gone regardless of tiller?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:18:05 am »
Yep,most likely. :) Following the grain where bending is happening is crucial.  :)
You have to be very careful when cutting a shelf or sight window that it is not going to bend in the area you violated the longitudinal grain. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:24:10 am »
Looks like evilbay bit ya in the butt...not all who sell on there are "experienced" people...if he's stating it was broke because of the tiller and he cut it out like that he is either a naive novice,or a no good liar just trying to cover his tracks and feed you a line of bull&**@...even if you kept the "bend"away from those fades I'm sure it would still have a very high chance of breaking regardless of how well it was tillered......arrrrrgh...I hate evilbay scums and YouTube know it alls... >:(

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:19 am »
Agree with that.  It was "cut" wrong and the grain violation would be a no go for me regardless of design.  Destined to break 'em if you start with that kind of violation.  You just hastened the failure by letting it bend in the fade.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 11:11:40 am »
Grain run off :o  Get your money back and write a bad review. I do see that the limb that split looks to have taken lots of set. I wonder if that happened during the break? IDK, but I do know that that dude sold you a fancy piece of firewood, not a self bow blank.